• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic XPH - Psionics true power?

All,

I was just contemplating the psionic classes at epic levels and realized that unlike mages, a psionic character can end up with virtually unresistable powers. At epic levels, a mage typically sees his opponent's saves outstrip the DCs of the spells since the oponent's saves go up every other level while his spell DC goes up much slower.
With the right powers that isn't the case for psions. Several of the Kinetic powers have a number of dice and save DC modifier equal to the number of points spent.

A spell can be heightened but can't be raised to a level beyond the caster's prime stat-10.

On one hand, the high level psion will run out of psi points after a few uses. On the other he'll break down at take 10 levels of metamind just to get the font of power option to manifest mind-numbing amounts of whomp for a minute, especially schismed.

So here's a theoretical 200th level example where the curve's thoroughly broken:

The target:
stats
1st level stat: 20 after racial modifer
200th level stat: +50 level raises
Gear: +10 to stat
Final: 80 +40

Class saves:
nonepic: +30 (assuming some freaky mix of multiclassing/Prcs)
epic: +90
total class: +120

Gear:
luck +10
resistance: +10
insight +10
total gear: +30

Other:
feats/racial: +5

Total saves: +195

The Psi
Identical to the target

stats
200th level stat: +50 level raises
Final: 80 +40 (note: 400 bonus PP)

Power with 200PP spent = save dc 10+200+40=250
Impact: 200d6 damage = 700hp, possibly 200d6+200 (900hp).

While not instantly fatal to 200th level characters by any means and it did deplete the psi's reserves by 1/3-1/2, it probably hit several of opponents at once.

The mage:
Identical to the target but has extra feats that increase the save DCs.

stats
200th level stat: +50 level raises)
Final: 80 +40

Feats +5 epic spell focus & class specials

Spell Heightened to 70th level (stat 80-10) = 10+70+40+5=125
Impact: ~30d6 = 105hp/2 = 52hp to multiple targets

Am I missing something?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Those +1 DC per PP powers -- both of them -- are likely to be errata'd. I suspect that the rule for both of those powers (Energy Missile and Energy Push) will follow the model of Energy Stun, and gain both +1d6 damage per 2 PP and +1 DC per 2 PP.

-- N

thorian

Explorer
Many of the powers do have a Heighten and Epic Heighten mechanism built right in as far as DC's go, which can really help at epic levels. The downside is that a lot of your powers are stopped by globes of invulnerability and other level dependent protections since their effective level does not increase as Heighten does.

James McMurray

First Post
Nifft said:
Those +1 DC per PP powers -- both of them -- are likely to be errata'd. I suspect that the rule for both of those powers (Energy Missile and Energy Push) will follow the model of Energy Stun, and gain both +1d6 damage per 2 PP and +1 DC per 2 PP.

-- N

ACtually Energy Stun also has the 1:1 DC increase. :D

All of the other energy powers have 1:2

thorian said:
The downside is that a lot of your powers are stopped by globes of invulnerability and other level dependent protections since their effective level does not increase as Heighten does.

I've seen a lot of people say this, but I don't buy it. Yeah, a GoI will stop your lower level powers, but by that time you'll have something to get around them with. And honestly, how frequent are those spells, especially at epic levels where you're more concerned about stopping that 12th level spell?

the Jester

Legend
I don't buy your example.

A 100th-level, much less 200th-level, pc, is likely to have at least double to triple the item bonuses to saves that you're figuring in there.

Remove ads