• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Spell Development; How'd I do?

Solauren

Explorer
For one of my home campaigns, I've made up standard D20 (epic) versions of the Lena Inverse universe spells DragonSlay, Gigaslay and Ragna Blade.

Did I much up or what?

DragonSlay
Transmutation
Spellcraft DC: 111
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 12,000 feet
Effect: 60 foot radius
Duration Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fort Half
Spell Resistance: Yes

To Develop: (Note: Skipped the cost for now)
Seed: Destroy DC 29 (20d6 destructive energy), 1 round casting (+18), two increases to damage dice (new size: d10, +20), add 40 dice (+80), change target to 20' radius (+12), double area twice (+8), On the Fly DC/Caster level Increase/Damage to Range (+3/+3/+3) - Based on information from Player's Guide to Faerun.
Midigating Factors: Backlash of 5d6 points of damage (-5), Burn 5000 XP (-50), Must have Special Feat (beyond Epic Spellcasting) (adhoc -10)
Description: 60' radius blast, doing 50d10 points of damage to everyone in the area of effect.
Spell feature: Can reduce damage dice by 2, and increase radius by another 20 feet.
Spell Feature, burn extra 1,000 XP, Save DC +5, burn extra 1,000 XP, Caster level +5 (no limit to burn and increase)

GigaSlay
Evocation, Transmutation
Spellcraft DC: 134
Components: V, S, XP
Range: 12,000 feet
Effect: 500 foot radius
Duration Instantaneous
Saving Throw Fort Half (+20 to DC)
Spell Resistance: Yes (+20 to Caster check to bypass)

To Develop:
Seed Destroy +29, 1 round casting time +18, 4 dice size increases (d20) +40, +40 dice (+80), Change Area to Target, 20' radius (12), 2400% radius increase (+96)
+20 to Save DC (+40), +20 to Caster level Check (+40), On the Fly DC/Caster level Increase/Damage to Range (+3/+3/+3) - Based on information from Player's Guide to Faerun.
Midigating Factors: Backlash 20d6 (-20), Burn 20,000 XP (-200)
Description: 500 foot radius blast, 60d20 points of damage.
Spell Feature: Reduce radius by 20 feet, +2 Dice of Damage
Spell Feature, burn extra 1,000 XP, Save DC +5, burn extra 1,000 XP, Caster level +5 (no limit to burn and increase)

Now, Ragna blade, I decided to play with, and I know I don't have it anywhere near accurate to the original. However, I'd like opinions please

Ragna Blade
Abjuration, Conjuration, Transmutation (Summoning)
Spellcraft DC: 110
Components: V, S,
Range: +0 (+30 foot reach with the Blade)
Effect: Target
Duration 20 rounds (D)
Saving Throw: Fort Half, Will Negates (See Text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

To Develop:
Seed Destroy (+29), 1 round cast (+18), Add 20 damage dice (+40), Dice up 2 sizes (+20), Seed Banish (+27), 66 more HD on Banish (+33), Seed Summon (+14)
Seed Dispel (+19), 30 to Spellcraft (+30), 20 to DCs (+40), 20 to Caster level to Bypass Spell Resistance (+40)
Burn 20000 Xp (-200)
Conjures a Blade made up of Destructive Energy. The caster rolls to hit with there standard attack bonus. A successful hit does 40d10 points of damage. Fort Save DC 40 + Key Ability modifer for Half Damage. Outsiders with less then 80 HD hit by the Blade must make a Will Save (40 + Key Ability) to be banished to there home plane. Finally, any spell or spell-like effect hit by the Blade (at the caster's discretion) are subject to a Epic Dispel effect of 1d20 + caster level + 40).
The Blade lasts for 20 rounds or until dismissed by the caster. It also increases the reach of the caster by 30 feet. The spell blade is in the form of a weapon of the casters choice.
The caster can only attack one creature a round with this blade (it does not Cleave or Great Cleave), and can only inflict damage on the target once per round.
The Weave Blade can be used with another weapon if the caster has Perfect Two Weapon Fighting.
Burn: 20,000 XP.

(Note: House rule; limit on XP Burn with Epic spells is enough to drain 2 levels from you. If that would not be enough to fuel the backlash without you losing 3 levels, i.e 60,000 XP backlash and it would cost you 3 levels, you can't cast it)

Kerrick

First Post
I don't know how the original spells worked, so I can't comment on the accuracy, but I can comment on the existing spells.

Dragonslay has "add 40 dice (+80)," but the spell description says 50d10 damage. I think this is supposed to be 60.

All d20 spells have only one school - the ones in the ELH are wrong in this regard. Gigaslay should be Transmutation, and Ragnablade would likely be Conjuration (since you're creating the blade, and that's the primary effect of the spell). Also, the range on that last spell is 0 ft. (no notation on reach); Effect is "sword-shaped plane of energy" (or force; see Mord's sword).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads