• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Draconians Ral Partha miniatures - need help

Hey everyone,

I just got a hold of the original Dragonians miniatures from Ral Partha and I really want to paint them as faithfully as possible to the source material and I'd really need help to get a confirmation of which ones are what type. I mean, I know which one is the Aurak and I think the 2 biggest ones are Sivaks but I'm not 100% sure about the remaining ones. Anyone can help me out ? Thanks !

y4m3XQp6mQz9R2ftU-Ww2hSSWqh3RUoroN8PPojR2pjTL4bjAjeF33nwulouXOH8trgM_f64ZueXo0YXN8wTsWjxkdEUWLy6U4ind_hOTJK7SvwS7sBp1wK8EU7Tz94ufxEWiSVMiH267tdOmRYHc3Y6VGa-yeTZTE6y64rMLHobEv8JPb4ix10akYgZ2NG1tFf

y4mir8QgJjKkacfpKdgBev2FCmfRFXMu7IJ4EETYskphpOOhjZPYOJYyCohAvusBdvPNNbsouWNnT4vOPSFhjE4KHbv2YfZs2JXB63QPziNAlNFPjQ2rksJLi5QOxYphDHQpYBDYk_PlcoDnZSV7BqZq9MhwxGu2qE8wS69YnhEOFKVDqiXRULPpxwnp06qoLLy

Andvari

Hero
The 2nd 3rd and 6th miniatures (based on the box art) appear inspired from this image:
DLDraconians.jpg

So probably a Sivak and an Aurak at least. I'm guessing the 3rd one is a Baaz, and that the 4th and 5th as well, as they have a similar appearance. It also makes sense there would be more of those as the Baaz are supposedly the most common.

What's the 8th guy holding? A wand? Could be a Bozak. And is the 9th one be casting a spell with the free hand? Another Bozak?

Looking through more Dragonlance art might provide additional clues. There's another one in the back of the image, too. The 8th mini's inspiration maybe?

Andvari

Hero
Perhaps that makes no. 8 a kapak as it seems to have a "beard", while having a single free hand (for spell casting?) could indicate bozak?

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Maybe there's some logic to the way they are lined up on the back of the box? Descending Hit Dice?
The first seems to be a Sivak because its holding the hedge-cutter sword the one in the DLA pics has.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
So the box is from 1989 and 1E Dragonlance Adventures (1987) has:

Aurak 8 HD, no wings, SZ M (7' tall); robes; gold dragons

and then (in order of HD and size):

Sivak 6 HD, wings, and SZ L (9 ft tall); hedge-cutter sword; silver dragons?

Bozak 4 HD, wings, and SZ M (6+ ft tall); spell casters

Kapak 3 HD, wings, and SZ M (6 ft tall)

Baaz 2 HD, wings, SZ M (5½ ft tall); smallest, conceal wings under robes

Meaning, if there's a logic to the way here are lined up on the back of the box:

#1: Sivak

#2: Bozak?

#3-5: Kapaks?

#6: Aurak

#7+: Baaz?

?

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Ok, looking closely at the back cover depictions, color schemes and scaling, and comparing them to the old Monster Manual descriptions, particularly height and scale coloration, I feel pretty confident in this. From left to right:

Sivak, Sivak (same height and coloration of the first guy), Kapak, Kapak, Kapak, Aurak (robed), Bozak (bronze scales, taller than the ones to his right), Baaz, Baaz, Baaz.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
OK, so it would seem that the 'logic to the line-up' theory doesn't work, for looking at the picture if the figs you sent, I'd say that #5 in the first row may well be a bozak (face, armor, sword compared to the one in the pic of the 1E draconians).

Anyhow. Gotta dash.

Maybe a sift through the Ral Partha 1989 catalogue can get you anywhere?

Whoa! Just got brutally ninja'd by @Mannahnin Bozak-wise! :)

Remove ads