• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 D20 Modern: Edition Experience - Did/Do You Play d20 Modern? How Was/Is it?

Did/Do You Play d20 Modern? How Was/Is it?

• I played it, and remember liking it

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • I played it, and wasn't impressed one way or another

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I'm playing it right now, so far liking it

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Playing it right now; I'll let you know later

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm playing right now, so far I don't like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never played this edition, but I'd like to

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • I never played this edition, and never considered it tbh

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • I never played this edition, and don't really want to

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I played it, didn't like it

Votes: 3 4.6%

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I've played it a couple of times at cons. I hesitate between "liked" and "wasn't impressed," because it seems serviceable and does what it needs to do. I wasn't wowed by it, but the flip side of that is that the rules aren't intrusive to the story, which might mean they're actually pretty good.

I'm playing it right now, and I like it just as much as I like 3rd edition (which is a lot). My group is playing D20 Future, which basically uses the D20 Modern core rules, with some scifi added on top. There are some things which D20 Modern doesn't do too well, such as chase scenes. So I've been looking a bit towards Spycraft for some homebrew inspiration. But I really like what D20 Modern does in regards to character building.

I've also played the D20 Modern variant of Call of Cthulhu, which plays exactly as normal D20 Modern, but with sanity rules. Its also pretty good.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I'm playing it right now, and I like it just as much as I like 3rd edition (which is a lot). My group is playing D20 Future, which basically uses the D20 Modern core rules, with some scifi added on top. There are some things which D20 Modern doesn't do too well, such as chase scenes. So I've been looking a bit towards Spycraft for some homebrew inspiration. But I really like what D20 Modern does in regards to character building.

I've also played the D20 Modern variant of Call of Cthulhu, which plays exactly as normal D20 Modern, but with sanity rules. Its also pretty good.
Now you have me reconsidering D20 Modern for a post apocalyptic project I have in mind...

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Between D&D 3.0 (2000) and 3.5 (2003) WotC published a game called d20 Modern (2002) wanting to capitalize on the design of the d20 (OGL) system and also offer a system that supported other genres and tropes than D&D. You could characterize it as pulp action hero role-playing. It had quite an impressive run with no less than 11 books released to support it. The last scheduled book (working title) Supers was never published.

tJvp80G.jpg

Truncated
I am still sad the Supers specific book was not published.

Artur77

Villager
I drive modernity alive. Players like my modules. Although sometimes they disappoint me themselves, there are times when you try, you think up something, you try to twist the plot, and players avoid this moment simply by applying some modern technologies. Therefore, I find the D20 Modern interesting.
But the D20 Modern Future is more interesting for its breadth, but unfortunately, it is problematic to play on it in real life even with the number of players of 6-7 people.
D20 Modern Past is also a peculiar and very interesting thing. All the same, this is not fantasy, and after several successful adventures, when the heroes for the most part achieved their goal, the new campaign looks silly. Here, modernity wins.

Remove ads