• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 D20 Modern: Edition Experience - Did/Do You Play d20 Modern? How Was/Is it?

Did/Do You Play d20 Modern? How Was/Is it?

• I played it, and remember liking it

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • I played it, and wasn't impressed one way or another

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I'm playing it right now, so far liking it

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Playing it right now; I'll let you know later

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm playing right now, so far I don't like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never played this edition, but I'd like to

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • I never played this edition, and never considered it tbh

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • I never played this edition, and don't really want to

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I played it, didn't like it

Votes: 3 4.6%

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
While not using d20 Modern currently as my players and I have found we prefer WOIN: NOW for the modern day covert action game I'm running, I always loved the "Moreaux" concept in their Friends & Foes chapter, so much so that I worked it into the current campaign.

I did try to run a d20 Modern version of the old Top Secret module 002 (Lady In Distress) module that I converted, but I was a very noob GM back then and it didn't go so well. I think the conversion was fine, but my running of it was not. We also tried Spycraft 1.0 and 2.0, but while I liked it, my crunch-averse players did not.

On the whole, my players and I like the dice pool mechanic and the dice probability curves that come from a dice pool over a single d20 roll. I've seen the 2d20 alternative rule stuff, but we prefer throwing a bunch of d6s. I only wish WOIN:NOW had better support on Roll20....

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
People keep mentioning 3PP Modern books for 5e. Do you have links? Thanks.
There are at least two that completed Kickstarters recently:
There's also, this, which is more pulp-based, but could be used for modern or modern-ish games:

I've received the final PDF as a backer, so it should be out soon.

Remove ads