• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D Red Box: Who Is The Warrior?

A WizKids miniature reveals the iconic character's face for the first time.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 22.27.52.png

The Dungeons & Dragons Red Box, famously illustrated by Larry Elmore in 1983, featured cover art of a warrior fighting a red dragon. The piece is an iconic part of D&D's history.

WizKids is creating a 50th Anniversary D&D miniatures set for the D&D Icons of the Realms line which includes models based on classic art from the game, such as the AD&D Player's Handbook's famous 'A Paladin In Hell' piece by David Sutherland in 1978, along with various monsters and other iconic images. The set will be available in July 2024.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 22.31.00.png

paladininhell.jpg

Amongst the collection is Elmore's dragon-fighting warrior. This character has only ever been seen from behind, and has never been named or identified. However, WizKids’ miniature gives us our first look at them from the front. The warrior is a woman; the view from behind is identical to the original art, while the view from the front--the first time the character's face has ever been seen--is, as WizKids told ComicBook.com, "purposefully and clearly" a woman. This will be one of 10 secret rare miniatures included in the D&D Icons of the Realms: 50th Anniversary booster boxes.

redboxwarriormini.png

s-l1600.jpg

The original artist, Larry Elmore, says otherwise. (Update—the linked post has since been edited).

It's a man!

Gary didn't know what he wanted, all he wanted was something simple that would jump out at you. He wanted a male warrior. If it was a woman, you would know it for I'm pretty famous for painting women.

There was never a question in all these years about the male warrior.

No one thought it was a female warrior. "Whoever thought it was a female warrior is quite crazy and do not know what they are talking about."

This is stupid. I painted it, I should know.
- Larry Elmore​

Whether or not Elmore's intent was for the character to be a man, it seems that officially she's a woman. Either way, it's an awesome miniature. And for those who love the art, you can buy a print from Larry Elmore's official website.

What I find amusing, more than male/female, is his/her armour has grown longer ;)

I also thought it was the same guy from 0 to hero, tho taking on a dragon when level 1-3 was pretty crazy!

Elmore did more than clarify. He said anyone who thought it was a woman was "crazy".

That heightened remark did feel off. It comes across as kinda sexist. (Whether he meant to or not.)

His artwork tends to be well within the "chainmail bikini" genre, sometimes literally.

The comment came across as if, a woman character must pose as a lithe sexy calendar model
− How could a no-nonsense warrior character be a woman?!

Thanks for pointing that out. I now suspect they knew the art wasn't consistant with how he did women warriors in art, knew it was a male art and decided to do this anyways.

Well the fallout is Wizkids problem, not mine, honestly I didn't like any of the minis in this series to begin with as much of it was based on not so great art.

I don't even use minis, too expensive a habit the only ones I have are for decoration I bought at a dollarama. I'm cheap.

What I find amusing, more than male/female, is his/her armour has grown longer ;)

I also thought it was the same guy from 0 to hero, tho taking on a dragon when level 1-3 was pretty crazy!

I can't unsee that now. But its only longer in the the front, its still short in the back. Even art controversy aside, its not a well made mini, the front is too long for the back, so it looks odd.

Last edited:

View attachment 361826

The Dungeons & Dragons Red Box, famously illustrated by Larry Elmore in 1983, featured cover art of a warrior fighting a red dragon. The piece is an iconic part of D&D's history.

WizKids is creating a 50th Anniversary D&D miniatures set for the D&D Icons of the Realms line which includes models based on classic art from the game, such as the AD&D Player's Handbook's famous 'A Paladin In Hell' piece by David Sutherland in 1978, along with various monsters and other iconic images. The set will be available in July 2024.

Amongst the collection is Elmore's dragon-fighting warrior. This character has only ever been seen from behind, and has never been named or identified. However, WizKids’ miniature gives us our first look at them from the front. The warrior is a woman; the view from behind is identical to the original art, while the view from the front--the first time the character's face has ever been seen--is, as WizKids told ComicBook.com, "purposefully and clearly" a woman. This will be one of 10 secret rare miniatures included in the D&D Icons of the Realms: 50th Anniversary booster boxes.

The original artist, Larry Elmore, says otherwise.

It's a man!

Gary didn't know what he wanted, all he wanted was something simple that would jump out at you. He wanted a male warrior. If it was a woman, you would know it for I'm pretty famous for painting women.

There was never a question in all these years about the male warrior.

No one thought it was a female warrior. "Whoever thought it was a female warrior is quite crazy and do not know what they are talking about."

This is stupid. I painted it, I should know.
- Larry Elmore​

Whether or not Elmore's intent was for the character to be a man, it seems that officially she's a woman. Either way, it's an awesome miniature. And for those who love the art, you can buy a print from Larry Elmore's official website.

Hit the link and it looks like he edited to be more diplomatic about it then upset.

Farenn

Explorer
This whole "debate" is ridiculous. The bottom line is that the piece of artwork was Larry's creation. He said he drew a male warrior, so it is a male warrior. You are free to imagine that it is a woman, dog, cat, owlbear or whatever you like. But the fact is the warrior depicted is a male. Much like when a musician writes a song and tells you what the meaning of it is. That is what the song actually means. Sure, you can imagine that it means something else. But that does not change the fact of what the song really means. With that being said I have no problem with Wizkids reimagining something. But it is just that, a reimagining of the original. Not what the famous red box warrior actually was.

Remove ads

Remove ads