• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D Red Box: Who Is The Warrior?

A WizKids miniature reveals the iconic character's face for the first time.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 22.27.52.png

The Dungeons & Dragons Red Box, famously illustrated by Larry Elmore in 1983, featured cover art of a warrior fighting a red dragon. The piece is an iconic part of D&D's history.

WizKids is creating a 50th Anniversary D&D miniatures set for the D&D Icons of the Realms line which includes models based on classic art from the game, such as the AD&D Player's Handbook's famous 'A Paladin In Hell' piece by David Sutherland in 1978, along with various monsters and other iconic images. The set will be available in July 2024.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 22.31.00.png

paladininhell.jpg

Amongst the collection is Elmore's dragon-fighting warrior. This character has only ever been seen from behind, and has never been named or identified. However, WizKids’ miniature gives us our first look at them from the front. The warrior is a woman; the view from behind is identical to the original art, while the view from the front--the first time the character's face has ever been seen--is, as WizKids told ComicBook.com, "purposefully and clearly" a woman. This will be one of 10 secret rare miniatures included in the D&D Icons of the Realms: 50th Anniversary booster boxes.

redboxwarriormini.png

s-l1600.jpg

The original artist, Larry Elmore, says otherwise. (Update—the linked post has since been edited).

It's a man!

Gary didn't know what he wanted, all he wanted was something simple that would jump out at you. He wanted a male warrior. If it was a woman, you would know it for I'm pretty famous for painting women.

There was never a question in all these years about the male warrior.

No one thought it was a female warrior. "Whoever thought it was a female warrior is quite crazy and do not know what they are talking about."

This is stupid. I painted it, I should know.
- Larry Elmore​

Whether or not Elmore's intent was for the character to be a man, it seems that officially she's a woman. Either way, it's an awesome miniature. And for those who love the art, you can buy a print from Larry Elmore's official website.

I must say Larry seems about out of touch and sexist in that reply. A bit disappointing

He was simply making it clear what he painted, how would that be sexist?

He has no problem painting warrior women, he's done tons of them.

Wizkids should have contacted him first and asked, it was pretty rude of them not too, finding out like this without warning is really unfair.

Animated GIF

I like it but get where Larry is coming from given it’s his original creation. That said, the hubbub this causes I’m sure will benefit both parties in terms of sales…

I actually think the opposite, some maybe feel the original creator was disrespected by not only not being consulted, not even warned. This product was targeted at old school fans and treating Larry so rudely may cause a backlash with canceled orders.

I mean the dude has done countless women warriors, women mages, maybe women clerics, ect..., I mean they could have done a whole set of minis based on his art (OMGs that would do so well).

They should apologize.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I actually think the opposite, some maybe feel the original creator was disrespected by not only not being consulted, not even warned. This product was targeted at old school fans and treating Larry so rudely may cause a backlash with canceled orders.

I mean the dude has done countless women warriors, women mages, maybe women clerics, ect..., I mean they could have done a whole set of minis based on his art (OMGs that would do so well).

They should apologize.
Opposite of what? That they won’t both see a bump in sales from the coverage or that I see where he is coming from in his comments?

Yaarel

He-Mage
He was simply making it clear what he painted, how would that be sexist?

He has no problem painting warrior women, he's done tons of them.

Wizkids should have contacted him first and asked, it was pretty rude of them not too, finding out like this without warning is really unfair.

Elmore did more than clarify. He said anyone who thought it was a woman was "crazy".

That heightened remark did feel off. It comes across as kinda sexist. (Whether he meant to or not.)

His artwork tends to be well within the "chainmail bikini" genre, sometimes literally.

The comment came across as if, a woman character must pose as a lithe sexy calendar model
− How could a no-nonsense warrior character be a woman?!

[Edit]:
Elmore has since updated his Facebook comment to soften his response. He didnt mean to come across as sexist.

"
For this specific painting, while I hide the face of the warrior so it is anonymous, it was painted as a man.
You can interpret it however you want, for that is the magic of art, but I am answering a question that was asked without context. ...

P.S.
Just to be clear, the thing that I love about D&D was that anyone can be anything in this game. Male, Female, both, neither, it does not discriminate. It's a game of imagination and you can be and do whatever you want.

"

I appreciate this update by Elmore. Sometimes we say things one context, that sound awful in an other context. It helps to clarify.

Last edited:

It's fantastic. Too bad Elmore is being weird about it.

He's not being weird about, what they did was very disrespectful to him. If this was some fan art no one would care, but this is official, they misgendered his art without bothering to contacting him.

In fact all the artists of these old pictures and new should have been contacted and at least given a heads up.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

They should apologize.
Holy overreaction, Batman!

Remove ads

Remove ads