• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Beyond Twitter Account says OGL will be addressed soon

Vaalingrade

Legend
Yeah but even there I feel like it's vastly less of an issue than it used to be a few years ago.

Rings of Power criticism was a lot cleaner for example, than previous stuff, with the racists/sexists tending to really quickly out themselves with inarguably comments on gender/skin colour and so on. Whereas criticism of the acting, writing, etc. tended to avoid saying any of that bollocks.
It's been a tactic (not for Hollywood) for a while and they haven't really turned it down.

Notice that they don't bring up the 'it's unrealistic for a mermaid to be black' thing since the pushback was so swift and merciless.

And use words like 'triggered' in the Year of Our Lord 2023.

Notice that they don't bring up the 'it's unrealistic for a mermaid to be black' thing since the pushback was so swift and merciless.
Yeah, and that was righteous (also hilarious), because there were literally people saying that, outing themselves as obviously racist (literally and undeniably so).

It wasn't marshalled by the studio though, which is what was being suggested. It was a natural reaction to dumbassery.

The most shocking example of that kind of idiocy remains Rue in The Hunger Games. There was a ton of "THEY MADE RUE BLACK!!! NOOOO :( :( :(". In the books, which I read before the movies (surprisingly solid YA), it's absolutely, unambiguously obvious Rue is Black. There's no question. Yet apparently a bunch of white readers somehow read the books, and said "This cute innocent little girl must be white, despite the description of her", just somehow mentally deleting her Blackness because she's a cute little innocent. Just absolutely mind-blowing. At the start I wondered if they were just confusing Rue and Prue (they are both cute innocent girls with similar names), but given both were in the same trailer which was spurring this idiocy (and Prue had more screentime), that wasn't possible.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
200.gif

The big difference- I mean, the galaxy-sized enormously gigantic difference -between reactions to Hollywood properties and the reaction to this is that whenever there is a movie, series, or video game release, there's a ton of legitimate racist, sexist, homophobic response in social media.

Every time.

Here, there is zero, absolutely zero, racist, sexist, or homophobic response in social media.

Jasperak

Adventurer
/snip

As an aside, how to YOU pronounce WotC? I noticed that on YouTube most people who don't say "Wizards" say "Wot-sy" or "Wot-cee", like it was the word for the letter C (which is mystifying to me because why separate that lol?) but everyone I know who has said it IRL says it "Wot-cuh" like it's an acronym ending in a hard C (which would make sense because Coast is a hard C).
Sorry. I made my saving throw(TM) so I won't make an offensive comment about how I pronounce naughty word with a W instead of ann...

Last edited:

So, anyone laying odds for the response being dropped on Friday at 5 PM?
It seems like that would be a really bad idea unless the response is "WE SURRENDER! WE'RE COMING OUT WITH OUR HANDS UP!".

Because if there's anything not-great about the response, and it's dropped on Friday night, fans will have all weekend to pick at it and poke at it and get real mad about it, and the YouTubers who've realized this is probably great for "the clicks" (which again, now includes non-RPG YouTubers!) can all do update videos with a picture of themselves doing a theatrical facepalm and with "Wizards of the Coast FAILS at D&D comeback!!!" in a weird font and each word at a different angle, colour and size.

It seems like that would be a really bad idea unless the response is "WE SURRENDER! WE'RE COMING OUT WITH OUR HANDS UP!".

Because if there's anything not-great about the response, and it's dropped on Friday night, fans will have all weekend to pick at it and poke at it and get real mad about it, and the YouTubers who've realized this is probably great for "the clicks" (which again, now includes non-RPG YouTubers!) can all do update videos with a picture of themselves doing a theatrical facepalm and with "Wizards of the Coast FAILS at D&D comeback!!!" in a weird font and each word at a different angle, colour and size.
I can't exactly 'like' this post, but I can't fault its predictions for the future either.

Remove ads