• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Convince me that the Ranger is a necessary Class.

Aragorn absolutely had magic in the Tolkein novels, both healing magic and other spiritual out of body divination type magic.

No, he did not. Aragorn has an uncanny skill as a healer because he was destined to, and thats derived from his backstory being effectively raised by Elves.

People don't often understand or even realize that much of what we see as "magical" in LOTR is just uncanny skill. Things like Lembas Bread or Elvish Rope may seem wildly magical relative to us, but thats because we're no better than Hobbits. Elves know more about how their world works and this reflects in how they can exploit their long lives to develop fantastical skills with what are otherwise mundane practices.

Hence travel bread that can satiate a grown man in a single bite, and rope that can untie itself from any knot as the users command.

And anyway, the uncanny is ultimately where something like the Ranger as class ought to lie. Mundane and fantastical, simultaneously.

Jaiken

Explorer
All classes follow a theme. These themes help bring intrigue and creativity to the player making their characters. The Ranger is no more needed than the Cleric or Rogue is.

No, he did not. Aragorn has an uncanny skill as a healer because he was destined to, and thats derived from his backstory being effectively raised by Elves.

People don't often understand or even realize that much of what we see as "magical" in LOTR is just uncanny skill. Things like Lembas Bread or Elvish Rope may seem wildly magical relative to us, but thats because we're no better than Hobbits. Elves know more about how their world works and this reflects in how they can exploit their long lives to develop fantastical skills with what are otherwise mundane practices.

Hence travel bread that can satiate a grown man in a single bite, and rope that can untie itself from any knot as the users command.

And anyway, the uncanny is ultimately where something like the Ranger as class ought to lie. Mundane and fantastical, simultaneously.
Using a lot of words here to describe magic.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I will do you one better! Try showing how even 25% of subclasses are needed for a working game!

Some things are for variety of play experience. Zero percent of prestige classes were “needed” etc.

The game would function fine without rangers but is that what people desire?

ECMO3

Hero

In the novels, yes he did. If you are basing it on the movies I could perhaps agree with your position, but in the novels it is clearly magic.

Specifically, he used healing magic on Frodo after he was attacked on Weathertop, he later used magic to awaken/resurect Aowyn.

Here is the text from these two:

"He sat down on the ground, and taking the dagger-hilt laid it on his knees, and he sang over it a slow song in a strange tongue. Then setting it aside, he turned to Frodo and in a soft tone spoke words the others could not catch. From the pouch at his belt he drew out the long leaves of a plant."

This is classic D&D magic involving Verbal, Somatic and Material components.

Then Aowyn:

"I have, maybe, the power to heal her body, and to recall her from the dark valley. But to what she will awake: hope, or forgetfulness, or despair, I do not know. And if to despair, then she will die, unless other healing comes which I cannot bring. Alas! for her deeds have set her among the queens of great renown.

Then Aragorn stooped and looked in her face, and it was indeed white as a lily, cold as frost, and hard as graven stone. But he bent and kissed her on the brow, and called her softly, saying:

Éowyn Éomund’s daughter, awake! For your enemy has passed away!"

Then she starts breathing and eventually wakes up again.

Both of those events are clearly magical. Aside from this he also has visions after sitting on the Throne before Frodo left and communing with the dead in the area he got the dead Army from.

People don't often understand or even realize that much of what we see as "magical" in LOTR is just uncanny skill.

Actually it is the opposite. According to Tolkien it is "Magica" that comes from Aragorn being descended from Elves.

In the novels, yes he did. If you are basing it on the movies I could perhaps agree with your position, but in the novels it is clearly magic.

Specifically, he used healing magic on Frodo after he was attacked on Weathertop, he later used magic to awaken/resurect Aowyn.

"He sat down on the ground, and taking the dagger-hilt laid it on his knees, and he sang over it a slow song in a strange tongue. Then setting it aside, he turned to Frodo and in a soft tone spoke words the others could not catch. From the pouch at his belt he drew out the long leaves of a plant."

Then Aowyn:

"I have, maybe, the power to heal her body, and to recall her from the dark valley. But to what she will awake: hope, or forgetfulness, or despair, I do not know. And if to despair, then she will die, unless other healing comes which I cannot bring. Alas! for her deeds have set her among the queens of great renown.

Then Aragorn stooped and looked in her face, and it was indeed white as a lily, cold as frost, and hard as graven stone. But he bent and kissed her on the brow, and called her softly, saying:

Both of those events are clearly magical. Aside from this he also has visions after sitting on the Throne before Frodo left and communing with the dead in the area he got the dead Army from.

Actually it is the opposite. According to Tolkien it is "Magica" that comes from Aragorn being descended from Elves.
Peak.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!

Then Aowyn:

Damn I need to read these again. Last time was 25 years ago! And the movies interfere with my recall of the books!

In the novels, yes he did.

No, he didn't. And Tolkien acknowledged in one of his letters that Men are never supposed to be able to use Magic. It was actually a mistake he made in describing Numenor; so if the Numenorians weren't supposed to be spellcasters, Aragorn sure as hell isn't.

DND idiosyncrasies are irrelevant. Whats actually being described isn't anything more than folk medicine. Ie, say some prayers and then shove some plants into the wound.

You're projecting something that isn't actually there.

Then Aowyn:

I too have shouted someone awake. In real life. Pretty sure I wasn't doing magic.

That isn't what Tolkien said.

Anyway, a difference in the use of 'magic' in this story is that it is not to be come by by 'lore' or spells; but is in an inherent power not possessed or attainable by Men as such. Aragorn's 'healing' might be regarded as 'magical', or at least a blend of magic with pharmacy and 'hypnotic' processes. But it is (in theory) reported by hobbits who have very little notions of philosophy and science; while A. is not a pure 'Man', but at long remove one of the 'children of Luthien'.

-- Letter 155

He leaves it ambiguous, but makes the point that the narrators of these events (the Hobbits) don't know what they're actually seeing. And something else that has to be considered is that as he's relating here, it isn't even Magic in the conventional sense. Its following on the idea of "healer kings" in medieval Christianity (we even still see aspects of this in modern day Catholicism; the Pope washing feet etc), following on from Jesus himself.

And more to the point of the topic, the point of clarifying all of this, is to make the point that Magic, as in waving wands and saying stupid words, doesn't have anything to do with his occupation as a Ranger.

Even accepting it is "magic", its a factor of his Background and his Race, not his Class.

All other Rangers don't share these healing capabilities; its entirely unique to Aragorn.

You can then argue the point of the Ranger-as-Class is to just be Aragorn, and that was indeed why the oriignal homebrew, that still haunts us today, was created. But for me, my argument is you'll get a better result if you stop focusing on that single character.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'll say my hot take again

If Infusions were core, Ranger would be better as an infusion class than a half caster. Manh iconic ranger spells are reflavored magic equipment.

• Healing herbs
  • Healing potions
  • Antidotes
  • Snares
  • Spikes
  • Flaming arrows
  • Serrated arrows
  • Modified quivers
  • Ghillie Suits
  • Whetstone (I miss you Bade Thirst)
  • Animal food
  • Animal repellent spray