• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Convince me that the Ranger is a necessary Class.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Probably a better way to design ranger concepts would have been

1. Make ranger the beast companion + warrior class, adding in magic would be a subclass. Other subclasses could focus on making your beast stronger or you stronger.

2. Make a fighter subclass with a strong nature theme.

3. Make a Druid with a fighty subclass.

I think that covers the various ranger blends people want fairly well.
IMO i don't think the animal companion is something that can be best explored while tied to the ranger concept, a 'companion' class could fit a specific ranger-like subclass inside it very nicely, though i admit that personally the companion aspect has never been the most important aspect of the ranger to me.

i would keep the ranger as a halfcaster but lean into giving them more terrain specific subclasses, like if druid's circle of the moon were the basis for it's own class.

adding a nature-fighter and a warrior-druid subclasses would be okay with me in addition to that, it's always better to offer more ways to play an archetype.

Artificer shoulda stayed the companion class IMO. Having a servitor AI (magical ofc) is core to the inventor fantasy these days. Its a shame WotC executed it in a terrible way though.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
IMO i don't think the animal companion is something that can be best explored while tied to the ranger concept, a 'companion' class could fit a specific ranger-like subclass inside it very nicely, though i admit that personally the companion aspect has never been the most important aspect of the ranger to me.

i would keep the ranger as a halfcaster but lean into giving them more terrain specific subclasses, like if druid's circle of the moon were the basis for it's own class.

adding a nature-fighter and a warrior-druid subclasses would be okay with me in addition to that, it's always better to offer more ways to play an archetype.

So Ranger as Martial Druid subclass - sounds good to me ;)

Mercurius

Legend
A lot of D&D discussions seem to come down to:

Q: Why does X exist within the D&D toolbox?
A: Because the toolbox is vast and varied, giving players a wide number of options and allowing different groups to customize to their liking.
Q: But why doesn't the toolbox only include tools that I want to use or make sense to me?
A: Uhh...

In 5E, no not necessary. And 5E is made that way.

In the Time Before Time of D&D most skills, abilities and even spells were only found under set classes. If you wanted something, you had to pick the class.

3X started the move to 'every class gets everything" and 5E only accelerated it...

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
If the intersection of Fighter & Cleric is necessary, in/as the Paladin.

If the intersection of Mage and Cleric is necessary, in/as the Druid.

If the intersection of Mage and Thief is necessary, in/as the Bard or Warlock, whichever you prefer.

Then, the intersection of Fighter and Thief is necessary, in/as the Ranger (add magic on top/subclass if desired).

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Also keep in mind the original Ranger was not a class, but a subclass and for the most part they were a fighter, wearing Plate Mail and Swinging a Two-handed sword or one of the 30 Pole Arms the game had.
Just notice that in 1e something being a class or a subclass was basically purely taxonomic. It would get a full unique writeup down to its own level up charts regardless. Back then the distinction didn't even matter, but right now if a concept isn't a class, it basically doesn't exist in a meaningfull way.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
This Ranger has Magic-User spells and the potential for Magic-Users, Pegasus, Unicorn and Dragons as potential followers. Able to employ all devices that deal with Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, ESP, Telepathy, Telekenesis, and Teleportation.

They get extra damage against Giant Class monsters (mostly humanoids and Giants), they can track.

This guy is highly magical and there is very little about wilderness or nature surrounding that link.
The early abilities about expert tracking, the restriction to only being able to own what can be carried are indications of a wilderness expert

Remove ads