• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
You said
Cleon said:
Since I'm aming for a more "true to the original" version, I would like to make the Blood Drain harder to cure, but would prefer something a bit more generic than naming a single specific spell - especially as heal can't cure ability drain in 3E.
so I thought we just wanted to use a CL check for restoration and other spells that cure ability drain.

Cleon

Legend
You said

so I thought we just wanted to use a CL check for restoration and other spells that cure ability drain.

Yes, it just feels that since the original went to the trouble of pointing out heal that we might want to include it in this version.

Maybe have a heal spell be able to "cleanse" the wound and allow healing of the Con damage without needing a CL check, like a break enchantment can remove the anti-healing effect of a Mummy's curse.

We may want to include a reference to break enchantment and/or remove curse too, since we're modelling this on Mummy Rot.

e.g.:

To eliminate this effect, the curse must first be broken with break enchantment or remove curse (requiring a DC 20 caster level check for either spell) or heal (no CL check required), after which a caster level check is no longer necessary to magically cure the ability drain damage inflicted by the drow vampire.

freyar

What if we included that line and just didn't allow it to be healed at all by restoration, etc, until the curse is removed as above?

freyar

Hmmm. I guess the original mechanic is nasty but not that nasty. Let's go with the "mummy rot" version of your previous post.

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm. I guess the original mechanic is nasty but not that nasty. Let's go with the "mummy rot" version of your previous post.

Okay, so how about this modification of the last paragraph of the Dread Touch Working Draft:

The drow vampire gains 2 temporary hit points for every point of Constitution drain it inflicts with a dread touch attack. Constitution drain caused by dread touch is hard to heal. A character attempting to cast any spell to heal the Con drain must succeed on a DC 20 caster level check or the spell has no effect on the drained ability. The curse only affects the dread touch's Con drain, so any Constitution damage a victim suffers from a dread touch can be healed normally. To eliminate this curse, the effect must be broken with break enchantment or remove curse (requiring a DC 20 caster level check for either spell) or heal (no CL check required), after which a caster level check is no longer necessary to magically cure the Con drain.

Remove ads