• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Maybe for "In Ravenloft" only, but I'm wary of making too many changes, since this is really covered by the usual blood drain and slam that we have already (right?). I'm not a big fan of too much in the way of exception-based mechanics.

Cleon

Legend
Maybe for "In Ravenloft" only, but I'm wary of making too many changes, since this is really covered by the usual blood drain and slam that we have already (right?). I'm not a big fan of too much in the way of exception-based mechanics.

I was intending it for the "In Ravenloft" bit.

freyar

Yeah, I'm just trying to work out how comfortable I am with putting it in. I guess it's ok in that limited sense. I just don't really want to fiddle much with the old conversion.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, I'm just trying to work out how comfortable I am with putting it in. I guess it's ok in that limited sense. I just don't really want to fiddle much with the old conversion.

I think we've already done all the "fiddling" we need updating the summoning & spawning bits of the old conversion.

All the stuff we're talking about now belongs in the In Ravenloft bit.

Anyhow, what shall we do about the MC's version of Blood Drain only being curable by a heal spell?

Since I'm aming for a more "true to the original" version, I would like to make the Blood Drain harder to cure, but would prefer something a bit more generic than naming a single specific spell - especially as heal can't cure ability drain in 3E.

freyar

I had thought the weaknesses were for the general conversion, actually.

What about a caster level check required for curing the ability drain? That's consistent with some other difficult SAs (like mummy rot).

Cleon

Legend
I had thought the weaknesses were for the general conversion, actually.

Contrariwise, I thought we'd agreed to leave the general conversion unchanged, meaning we have to put the weaknesses in the In Ravenloft bit.

What about a caster level check required for curing the ability drain? That's consistent with some other difficult SAs (like mummy rot).

That'd work for me. Would we use a fixed DC for the CL check or base it on the vampire's Hit Dice?

We could also have it so a heal spell removes the curse that obstructs standard curing of the ability drain.

Cleon

Legend
Leaving the current conversion as-is works for me.

I'd say make it Cha-based.

So, what, use 10 plus half HD plus ability modifier for the DC?

That seems a bit of a break from standard approaches to setting the DC for caster level check, which are usually either flat numbers or HD/caster level.

It would make it a hard number to hit, since the creature trying to heal the wound won't get their own ability mod to counter the vampire's Charisma bonus.

freyar

As precedent, I give you mummy rot

Mummy Rot (Su)
Supernatural disease—slam, Fortitude DC 16, incubation period 1 minute; damage 1d6 Con and 1d6 Cha. The save DC is Charisma-based.

That seems like the closest to what we have here. Plus, it should be hard to cure.

Cleon

Legend
As precedent, I give you mummy rot

That seems like the closest to what we have here. Plus, it should be hard to cure.

That's the save DC of the Fortitude saves though - i.e. the one to avoid catching the disease or taking another lot of damage. What we're talking about is more equivalent to the caster level check to heal or remove the Mummy Rot, which is a flat DC 20.

Remove ads