Converting Al-Qadim creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We can leave off the favored class if you like.

Treasure: Standard coins, double goods (gems only), standard items?

Cleon

Legend
We can leave off the favored class if you like.

That'd be my preferred solution.

Treasure: Standard coins, double goods (gems only), standard items?

Hmm what does the original have again...

Qx10!

That's 10-40 gems in 2E, seems rather a lot of precious stones for lycanthrope bandits. Where do they get them all from?

Hmm, still that's such a lot of gems I'd be tempted to give it triple goods (gems only) and maybe half coins and items.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
By the way, since it mentions "newly infected lycanthropes" in the flavour text we should give them a retread of the Jagwere's therianthropy:

Curse of the Jagwere (Su): Any humanoid hit by a jagwere's bite attack must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or become a jagwere the next time there is a full moon. The victim loses all abilities it possessed prior to transformation, becoming an ordinary jagwere in all respects except for the following: The "cursed jagwere" does not have a Curse of the Jagwere special attack. A "cursed jagwere" retains no memory or interest in its former existence, but does retain any equipment it carried. Cursed jagweres can be cured of their condition by a remove curse or break enchantment cast on the jagwere if the jagwere succeeds on a DC 20 Will save.

freyar

All they like to steal is gems, I guess. I'm not sure I want to decrease the items, but I could do half coins, triple goods (gems only), standard items as a compromise.

I'll go along with "curse of the hyenawere."

Cleon

Legend
All they like to steal is gems, I guess. I'm not sure I want to decrease the items, but I could do half coins, triple goods (gems only), standard items as a compromise.

I'll go along with "curse of the hyenawere."

Works for me. I'll update the Hyenawere Working Draft. (Note: the is URL has been corrected so it points to the current location of the Working Draft, but all the previous links point to the "Old Enworld" locations so their URLs are broken.)

freyar

Tactics: Hyenaweres rarely pick a fair fight. Instead, they use their Befriend ability to lure individual, unaware victims into an ambush far from help. Hyenaweres prefer to attack in hyena form, but some members of a pack will often remain as humanoids in order to provide ranged attacks.

Cleon

Legend
Tactics: Hyenaweres rarely pick a fair fight. Instead, they use their Befriend ability to lure individual, unaware victims into an ambush far from help. Hyenaweres prefer to attack in hyena form, but some members of a pack will often remain as humanoids in order to provide ranged attacks.

Why use "individual, unaware victims" instead of "unaware individuals"?

I see no mention of the "some members of a pack will often remain as humanoids in order to provide ranged attacks" in the original attack so I'd cut that out or rephrase it.

We should mention they prefer to attack by day, since that's in the original.

Hyenaweres rarely pick a fair fight. Their favorite tactic is using their Befriend ability to lure unaware individuals into an ambush far from help. Hyenaweres prefer to fight in hyena form, but may remain as humanoids to use ranged weapons. They usually attack during the day due to their primal fear of fire travellers at night tend to have campfires or torches.​

freyar

I can go with that. I often have awkward wording :p, and I wanted to work in some mention of the ranged weapons.

freyar

Was just reading the original monster entry for inspiration on the description and noticed that they have a second mouth at the back of their head. Should we list that under alternate form?

Here's an attempt at a description:
This tall, lithe man smiles widely and laughs easily. His long, thick hair reaches past his shoulders. ??

We should put something in the flavor about most of them being male.

Remove ads