• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Contemplating] Dragonlance Classics

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Here's an idea I was entertaining: what if I let the players take turns describing the wandering encounters and other minor battles? I could tell them general details about the opponents and the overall EL, then they could describe what happens in their own style (taking into account necessary loss of hp and spells).

Disadvantages to this idea are if a player takes a long time writing the battle, the fact that they might have the spellcasters cast spells the spellcasters would rather keep, and the fact that other players might not feel their characters actions were "in character".

Perhaps the last two disads are overcome by Victim's previous comment. And I could take volunteers for the who does the writing. So the combat would work like this:

I indicate monsters are attacking (or one of the players indicates they are attacking after negotiating, sneaking, etc).
I indicate it is minor fight, asking for a volunteer.
Each player describes their general actions for the battle.
Someone volunteers to describe the fight.
I send that person general details about the enemies and their tactics (and a estimated loss of hp and spells).
The volunteer posts a description of the fight.
The campaign continues.

What do you think?

Shalimar

First Post
I would say limit the random encounters to 1 maybe two a module. But definitely play out the major battles, like the first Draconians, Kishanth, and all of the major things. For the random encounters I suggest that you have the players each write out their characters general tactics, such as:

Tanis will start with his bow if he has it with him, rapid firing until the enemy are almost to melee range, then using his sword and expertise to defend himself.

If the characters want special tactics, then let them send it to whover is writing up the battle. This would include which magical and clerical spells to use and in what conditions. Either that or Gru could just nararate the fights according to what happened in the books. For example if in the novels one of the characters takes a sword slice, apply it to that character in the game. Say Riverwind takes a cut to his arm with a short sword in a fight with Goblins, apply that d6 to him in the game, or if he isn't there, some one like him, say Tanis.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Anyone have any recent thoughts on the combat question? I'm going to try speeding up lesser combats in Sunless Citadel and Prophecies of the Dragon, to see what works.

So who's still watching this thread? Should I put the discussion on hold until I'm ready to start recruiting?

Keia

I aim to misbehave
I'm still watching Gru.

As to the combat question, I think that it would be best to have you run them rather than another of the party members. I think there would too many questions.

I think that some of the random encounters can be eliminated (most often these amount to the fighters pounding things and the casters conserving their strength), and cutting out some of the extraneous rooms and what not in some of the dungeons would be a good idea as well.

As always, these are just my opinions. Any other questions I can help with?

Keia

Shalimar

First Post
I am still watching Gru.

I think that cutting out some of the unimportant battles would also be a good idea, no matter what else we do, it will help.

I think the discussion can continue until you are ready to recruit, it will only cut down on the time from when you start recruiting to the time you are ready to play.

Jarval

Explorer
Still here, still watching. As far as random encounters (and the unimportant planned encounters) go, I think we'd be best off skipping over them. I think you're going to need to handle XP in a non-standard way as well, advancing the party in level when needed, rather than just on the basis of the encounters we overcome.

ErichDragon

First Post
Still watching. I think the previous comments on combat resolution are good. Everyone seems to agree that you should skip over all of the combats except those integral to the story.

I wouldn't mind if you just wrote a short narative about lesser combats, without party decision making. Leaving more time for roleplaying and important encounters.

Dalamar

Adventurer
I'd like to play out my namesake when he shows up. Should be interesting.
Or alternatively I can play any other character.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads