• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Bonus Unearthed Arcana Reveals The Bastion System

Build your homebase! Oh, and some revised cantrips.

A 'bonus' Unearthed Arcana playtest document has appeared, and it shows off D&D's upcoming Bastion System.

This October, we’re bringing you a special treat. While we’re continuing to develop and revise public playtesting material for the 2024 Player’s Handbook, we’d thought you’d enjoy an early look at what we’re cooking up for the 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide.

The coming Dungeon Master’s Guide will be the biggest of its kind in decades and contain an assortment of new tools for DMs and their tables. In Bastions and Cantrips, we’re showcasing one of these tools, the Bastions subsystem. Dungeon Masters and their parties can use this subsystem to build a home, base of operations, or other significant structure for their characters.

And if you’re raring to test out more character options, we’re also including revisions for 10 cantrips in this playtest packet.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Level 5 seems awfully low level to be gaining your own Stronghold as a matter of course. There's already lots gained at Level 5, it's a real step up. In my opinion, they should save Bastions for a higher level, like 10 maybe (9, again, is already a tier shift, no need to add more goodies).
Yeah. The instant I saw level 5 I thought I'd make it 9th or 10th level. The issue they have is that most games never reach 9th or 10th level, so if they want most people to be able to have one, they have to start it at 5th. My games go into the mid teens to 20th level as a matter of course, so starting it at 9th or 10th would be no big deal.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Tier shifts per the rules are 5, 11, 17
I personally see more gradations than 4. Basically any time you reach a new spell level for casters, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc., there is a significant increase in party power. And not just because of the spells! The other classes also see significant improvement over every few levels.

Remathilis

Legend
Level 5 seems awfully low level to be gaining your own Stronghold as a matter of course. There's already lots gained at Level 5, it's a real step up. In my opinion, they should save Bastions for a higher level, like 10 maybe (9, again, is already a tier shift, no need to add more goodies).
We already have people complaining about level 13 barkeeps and you want to raise the level higher?!

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
1, 5, 9, 13, 17, are the defacto tiers, timing with the rhythm of proficiency bonuses and feats and all of the class features that organize around them.

I noticed the Bastion follows the 5, 9, 13, 17 tiers. I hope to see this elsewhere too.

Each of these tiers feels distinctive from each other − each is their own speculative-fiction genre, from Tolkien at 5 to Superhero at 13.
So you want to change when cantrips and extra attack are dolled out?

Yeah. The instant I saw level 5 I thought I'd make it 9th or 10th level. The issue they have is that most games never reach 9th or 10th level, so if they want most people to be able to have one, they have to start it at 5th. My games go into the mid teens to 20th level as a matter of course, so starting it at 9th or 10th would be no big deal.
These rules are still pretty rough but I don't think the break points are an issue. I tend to run games into the 20s and also give out "gifts" of property/investments/etc to tie PCs to places. Mostly tax exemptions (when they no longer matter), homes in villages that were decimated, part owner in a ship they recovered, etc.

At 5th level each PC gets 2* apprentices/ servants/ hirelings and suitable tools for a trade, which I generally agree with. (The Storehouse facility can just as well be a ship, which fits my past usage)

Is 5th the right point to be able to make any +1 Simple/Martial weapon for 800gp and 14 days? I see some GMs heads lifting off at that.

Kurotowa

Legend
Is 5th the right point to be able to make any +1 Simple/Martial weapon for 800gp and 14 days? I see some GMs heads lifting off at that.
Yes, it is the right point. The idea that martials can survive without a kit of magic gear needs to die. That only works with significant supplemental rules to replace it. A +1 on your main weapon is the bare minimum you should have by 5th level.

I'd really love for the revised DMG to have some nice clear advice on giving your weapon focused PCs cool signature weapons. It's practically integral to the genre, and really helps martials keep up with casters.

Just had a thought: is this a backdoor way to recommended treasure guidelines and prices?

• 5th - +1 weapons in 14 days for 800gp + Magic Weapon spell (Smithy)
  • 5th - materials for healing potions, basic poison & antitoxins (garden)
  • 9th - common potions/scrolls in 7 days for 50gp (Laboratory/Scriptorium)
  • 9th - magic items in 7 days for 200gp that only last 7 days (sacristry)
  • 9th - One-use magic items with 3rd level spells in 7 days (50% chance of success)(Trophy Room)
  • 9th - Greater Healing Potions & advanced poisons in 7 days (Greenhouse)
  • 10th - uncommon potions/scrolls in 7 days for 200gp (Laboratory/Scriptorium)
  • 18th - rare potions/scrolls in 7 days for 2,000gp (Laboratory/Scriptorium)

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Just had a thought: is this a backdoor way to recommended treasure guidelines and prices?

• 5th - +1 weapons in 14 days for 800gp + Magic Weapon spell (Smithy)
  • 5th - materials for healing potions, poisons & antitoxins (garden)
  • 9th - common potions/scrolls in 7 days for 50gp (Laboratory/Scriptorium)
  • 9th - magic items in 7 days for 200gp that only last 7 days (sacristry)
  • 9th - One-use magic items with 3rd level spells in 7 days (50% chance of success)
  • 10th - uncommon potions/scrolls in 7 days for 200gp (Laboratory/Scriptorium)
  • 18th - rare potions/scrolls in 7 days for 2,000gp (Laboratory/Scriptorium)
Interesting. I wonder if they were also thinking along those lines?

Remove ads

Remove ads