• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Bonus Unearthed Arcana Reveals The Bastion System

Build your homebase! Oh, and some revised cantrips.

A 'bonus' Unearthed Arcana playtest document has appeared, and it shows off D&D's upcoming Bastion System.

This October, we’re bringing you a special treat. While we’re continuing to develop and revise public playtesting material for the 2024 Player’s Handbook, we’d thought you’d enjoy an early look at what we’re cooking up for the 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide.

The coming Dungeon Master’s Guide will be the biggest of its kind in decades and contain an assortment of new tools for DMs and their tables. In Bastions and Cantrips, we’re showcasing one of these tools, the Bastions subsystem. Dungeon Masters and their parties can use this subsystem to build a home, base of operations, or other significant structure for their characters.

And if you’re raring to test out more character options, we’re also including revisions for 10 cantrips in this playtest packet.

sim-h

Explorer
Level 5 seems awfully low level to be gaining your own Stronghold as a matter of course. There's already lots gained at Level 5, it's a real step up. In my opinion, they should save Bastions for a higher level, like 10 maybe (9, again, is already a tier shift, no need to add more goodies).

Weiley31

Legend
Level 5 seems awfully low level to be gaining your own Stronghold as a matter of course. There's already lots gained at Level 5, it's a real step up. In my opinion, they should save Bastions for a higher level, like 10 maybe (9, again, is already a tier shift, no need to add more goodies).
OSE does this basically: At around Level 9 is where you start getting the Strongholds with minions basically.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Most campaigns never get that high. Fifth level is remarkably powerful compared to the vast majority of people, so I think it makes sense. YMMV, of course

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Most campaigns never get that high. Fifth level is remarkably powerful compared to the vast majority of people, so I think it makes sense. YMMV, of course
Moreover, I have q feeling an investment in a Bastion during the 5−8 level tier, will encourage players to continue on into the 9−12 tier and higher. There is more commitment, more immersion, more curiosity about what the characters are doing in-world.

In highschool, my friends and I would go nuts over a Bastion system, building lego models of it, blueprints, art, and so on.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Tier shifts per the rules are 5, 11, 17
1, 5, 9, 13, 17, are the defacto tiers, timing with the rhythm of proficiency bonuses and feats and all of the class features that organize around them.

I noticed the Bastion follows the 5, 9, 13, 17 tiers. I hope to see this elsewhere too.

Each of these tiers feels distinctive from each other − each is their own speculative-fiction genre, from Tolkien at 5 to Superhero at 13.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
He said that Charmed is not mind control, it just grants advantage on Charisma checks against the Charmed creature, and that the closest Charmed comes to mind control is that it prevents the Charmed creature from attacking you. Which is not a change from 2014, he was just reiterating how it already works because he knows a lot of people run it wrong.
That and it causes the charmed individual to treat you like a friendly acquaintance, so not even a friend. Just some guy you met at a party and is friendly. That means that if the individual just plain wouldn't do what you are asking, because he barely knows you, you wouldn't even get a roll at all. Charm Person is good, but it is only a 1st level spell. It's not the God spell a lot of people think it is.

Remove ads

Remove ads