• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best 1st Level 4E Adventure

RichGreen

Adventurer
None of them are GSL. And while some (one of them myself) was annoyed at first over the new monster names etc etc, it really turned out to just be something you have to get used to. If one could say the first GG adventures suffer from something, it's being conversions (ie, they were written for 3.5, but just not published yet). They are still better than KotS and the other 3PP adventures out there. That's not to say that they can't be improved upon.

Just IMO, ofc
It's not hard to figure out the slightly different terminology (eg "bruised" for bloodied"). Certainly didn't make it any harder for me to run the adventure.

Cheers

Richard

Kiddo

First Post
I have to say, whilst Sellswords is by no means the worst adventure I've seen, it's not exactly a scintillating example of adventure design. I've read it rather than run it, although I intend to do the latter at some stage.

There are some problems (maps far too cramped, treasure placement a decidedly random affair and inconsistent with the encounter design principles of 4e) that are easily resolved. Punjar certainly makes for an interesting setting for a city, but too little detail is given in the adventure about the major NPCs and the world around the adventure itself. Some of the numbers given for non-combat tasks are absurdly high. Like I say, easily fixed but a nuisance.

There are a few more problems that are less easily resolved. The initial run up to the dungeon is extraordinarily brief. The encounters are oddly balanced, with few fights meeting the XP bill to make up a challenge for a group of even first level, apparently justified by the expectation that fights will often merge together. In addition, there are some elements such as poisons with jarringly powerful, lasting effects. The result is an encounter balance that seems to swing unpredictably between absurdly easy and unnecessarily lethal. The whole seems less skillfully planned than 4e makes possible.

I've also got a fair few problems with the formatting, although these are mostly just little complaints that have no impact on the adventure itself. The encounters often refer to one another, with some clearly intended as one encounter but inexplicably split over two areas, which is confusing and unhelpful. In some cases, one encounter will refer to elements of another area that don't exist or aren't listed in any great detail. Some of the stat blocks claim levels that they patently don't merit (to all appearances as an excuse for awarding a higher XP value, which could just be arbitrarily assigned - an approach that the adventure takes elsewhere - rather than fiddling with the given levels). Treasure values fluctuate between essentially worthless to remarkably valuable, with little consistency.

All this having been said, some of the ideas embodied within the adventure were very interesting. A cautious and skilled GM could turn this into an adventure to be remembered by their players. Some of the encounters, with a little creative re-imagining, could be excellent and Punjar itself is certainly a thoroughly usable environment. I would recommend a liberal hand be taken in modifying the adventure as it stands. Elements could certainly be incorporated from other sources. There was a Dungeon adventure a while ago for 3.5 which included a chase across barges, the latter half of which was somewhat disappointing (generic dungeon crawl after a thrilling first half). This could be attached to the end of that fairly easily, providing Sellswords with a more gripping introduction and the other adventure (which I forget the name of - the secret of something... there was a key involved...) with a better conclusion.

[Edit: I've found it. Mad God's Key, Dungeon 114]

My best luck with 1st level 4e adventures has been had with a conversion of the "Burning Plague" 3rd edition adventure available on the Wizards website. It's pretty easy to modify and re-map, and remains a passable - if generic - dungeon crawl.

Last edited:

Festivus

First Post
My thoughts about this are:

1) 1st level doesn't really demonstrate the full possibilities of what characters can do in 4E, so don't judge things until you have played a few levels.

2) Have a look at some of the Living Forgotten Realms modules, which are free and offer a nice short story that plays out in about 4 hours (I have found these to be hit and miss however, perhaps look for a review of them)

3) Even with it's warts, I did enjoy running H1 and found it a very good introduction to the 4E rules and a few things to demonstrate some of the cooler aspects of 4e, however I think it could have used more skill challenges within and suffered a bit form lack of variety with the encounters.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Ahh my memory did not fail me. It's odd, I know - or I think I do, anyway - that Goodman Games have signed up for the GSL as they are producing the Book of Rituals. Maybe they could re-release these adventures as Revised with GSL updates.
The first wave of Goodman adventures were released before the date allowed by the GSL. Since that date has passed I think they are now using it.

JeffB

Legend
Forge of the mouuntain King is good, but is extremely deadly and has some eratta/issues (check out the Goodman site)

IMO- Isle of the Sea Drake- it's very...X1-ish...X1-like? Very cool.

Also the $2.00 4E adventure from Goodman (name escapes me) looks like good fun after my read through awhile back.

I'd def stay with Goodman- Ignore WOTC. YMMV , but I've yet to purchase a late 2E, 3E or 4E adventure from them that I thought was pretty decent . They need to stick to creating rules and nerd-rage-that's what they do best.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
I picked up Goodman Games In Search of Adventure at our local shop a couple weeks ago- it's a collection of several 1st level adventures and is really well done. I've run two so far and the players had a blast.

Daern

Explorer
I just ran Sellswords of Punjar last night and it was fun! The whole upper level turns into one big running battle! However, I wouldn't recommend it for a first time DM. There are a lot of curses and traps that are very Gygaxian and require adjudication as well as the triggering multiple encounters part.
I think the main reason to avoid H1 KOTS is because of its length. Starting out you might want to stick to shorter adventures so you can get through them and try a few things out.

darjr

I crit!
If you are open to RPGA adventures, one of my favorite is the Radiant Vessel of Thesk.

I've run it a couple of times and it has a ton of non combat rp possiblities in it with a short crawl in it as well. It can go rather quickly to and covers a range of things in the game.

I also think it has one of the better mixed mode combats, a combat and skill challenge combined.

As far as a continuing campaign, the NPC who hires the characters could be an interesting patron for a low level party, considering that he is literally insane.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Can I throw out another question related to the OP's original question: what, for you, would make for an excellent 1st-level 4E adventure? What are the some of the highlights in terms of encounters, flavour and mechanics do you think an excellent 1st-level 4E adventure should include?

It's not hard to figure out the slightly different terminology (eg "bruised" for bloodied"). Certainly didn't make it any harder for me to run the adventure.

Bruised/bloodied I could (and can) cope with. Using "aurora" rather than "aura" is just bizarre.

The first wave of Goodman adventures were released before the date allowed by the GSL. Since that date has passed I think they are now using it.

I just bought the two latest adventures and they're both OGL. One even makes reference to the "underdark": I'm not sure how they can do that without thoroughly browning off the new militant Wizards of the Coast (who are likely already browned off by the fact that these "4E compatible" adventures, as they are labelled, are released under the OGL).

(snip) Ignore WOTC. YMMV , but I've yet to purchase a late 2E, 3E or 4E adventure from them that I thought was pretty decent . They need to stick to creating rules and nerd-rage-that's what they do best.

- Late 2E: What about The Gates of Firestorm Peak and The Shattered Circle? They're both classics, IMO, and ones I have used in 3.xE and will soon use in 4E. Ahhh, how I long for the days when Bruce Cordell had his mojo... and wasn't chasing around pre-incarnate souls and other examples of his 3E-era nonsense (although Sunless Citadel was rather good).

- 3E: Red Hand of Doom has little competition for competent design and execution. The hardback Expedition to... were, with the exception of Ravenloft, were atrocious.

- 4E: If it's not written by Rich Baker (one of the designers also of Red Hand of Doom) then chances are it will be pretty ordinary.

What I don't understand is that WotC has one of the best adventure designers of all time on its staff in Chris Perkins and he doesn't write anymore. Give him a gig!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads