• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Becoming a Teacher

ssampier

First Post
I think it's awesome that you are a teacher. You can make such a positive difference in a student's life.

I especially like that you are well qualified to teach these courses. I had teachers that would give out work to do and leave for the remainder of class. Or would rapidly go through math problems in the first 10 minutes; "you should be able to figure this out, this isn't hard."

In any case, enjoy your years and remember you get Christmas and Summer breaks :)

As a former student, I think the best thing for a teacher to do is love their subject, intensely.
Teachers earn respect two ways:
1) Being so knowledgeable of their subject that you realize there is no way o get over on them.
2) Being so uber-cool that your physical presence begs the students to want to obey you.

I've been taught by both, the second is much harder to find and the couple I did find also met qualification 1, so.....

There is nothing worse than realizing that you are smarter than the flesh monkey who is supposed to be teaching you. To this day there are only a couple of teachers that I loathe, but there are still quite a few I pity, it was obvious that they wanted to teach, but had thought they would be teaching some other subject.

It sounds like you have all the right tools, so relax and be awesome. ;)

nedjer

Adventurer
I started today. My 1st block, 4th block, and Homeroom students were pretty good. 3rd block is my conference period. With 2nd block I got through half the material because of the students. I don't have the background to deal with them but our Assistant Principal is currently a national guard major and he is going to come in tomorrow as well as my mentor (she also has a military background as an officer). Plus he gave me a handful of referrals in the future. :devil:

Whoa dude :) They're not the enemy, they're your students. Fair enough to call in the cavalry now and again, but going all Clint Eastwood on them is a tough road to follow for years to come. The most difficult kids are used to home lives where things spiral into direct confrontation and stand-offs based on mutual resentment. They'll try to lead you down that path, because its what they're used to to, not what they want.

It's possible to 'turn' most by refusing to be sucked in. Ask them (only one at a time) if they feel their behaviour is appropriate to their age, ask them if they think it's OK to disrupt other students who want to work, ask them if they realise how tough it's going to be to get jobs and a good quality of life without qualifications, explain that it's your job to ensure that other students get a chance to learn. And make the material differentiated, so they can take part - chances are difficult kids have a social, emotional or cognitive skills gap that needs to be bridged. If most of the class is going 'over their heads' on one or all of these levels they're BORED :eek:

ggroy

First Post
It's possible to 'turn' most by refusing to be sucked in. Ask them (only one at a time) if they feel their behaviour is appropriate to their age, ask them if they think it's OK to disrupt other students who want to work, ask them if they realise how tough it's going to be to get jobs and a good quality of life without qualifications

With some students, this does not work at all.

Such individuals are more interested in showing off how tough and belligerent they are, and are deliberately looking for a fight. They see themselves being kicked out of school, as a "badge of honor". If they ever served time in prison, they'll be constantly bragging about it.

I came back to see how school went. Sounds as expected.

The kids will test you and find out what your limits are.

You'll need to use your instincts for this. How far to go.

Ask co-workers about the kids. Try to find out what their past is like. How the other teachers dealt with specific kids. Ask the councilers and special ed teachers also. (if the last applies)

Beyond that.... keep at it.

Janx

Hero
a fair number of my friends are teachers, so I've heard a ton of their stories.

First off, as a shortcutted teacher (didn't get a true Education degree), you're at risk. Texas has similar programs for bringing in more teachers. The core complaint (as somebody else sort of mentioned), is that these teachers haven't had the full training of classroom management. The result is, these people are less likely to have the skills to maintain order in the classroom.

For those not aware, teachers generally go back to school at least a week before classes start to prep the room and do in-services and such. So normally, he ought to have been used to the classroom before classes start.

Lesson Plans. Yours is the second time I've heard about new teachers having to struggle for lesson plans. No offense to teachers creativity, but in every other job, the new guy is handed directives, not left to figure out what he's supposed to do. In short, any school that hires a brand new teacher without handing them a basic lesson plan, with maybe some room for customization is a school that lacks in management.

Culture shock. Teaching college kids is not the same as teaching a required course to high school difference. It's economics. The college kids PAID to be there, and thus are more motivated to succeed. Whereas, in high school, especially a required course, if there's any problem kids, they are not unmotivated to cause trouble.

Racism. Teachers slowly develop racist mentalities by being exposed to problem schools where the problem group can be easily labeled by race. Here in Houston, while my friend was interviewing, the schools would literally discuss themselves in terms of % of white. As in a higher percentage was a better school. And in practical terms, it was a useful metric. While none of these people are going to join the KKK, they develop a mindset that associates their classroom challenges to a racial profile.

The real reason is that it's about apartment complexes serviing schools. These pack in more kids in a school district which floods schools, going over the standard 25 student per teacher ratio. The apartment complexes are filled with poor people. The poor people tend to be black or hispanic. The poor people's predominant culture is one where school is not valued. These are the kids who cause most of the problems. Which then gets summarized by race.

As for the poor people not valuing education, at one point, my wife had to call the parent of a 9th grader who was failing algebra, the parent said, "so, that's not a big deal." In other cases, the parents would pretend not to speak english, until a spannish speaking secretary was put on.

Conversely, for every school labeled as a failing school, I would bet you money, there are nerds in that school getting A's who are earning them. Which demonstrates it is possible for poor people to value education and succeed.

The problem, as the LA Times is reinforcing by publishing the names and rankings of teachers improvement of kids grades, is that the trend is to blame teachers for bad grades. When in reality, it is more than likely the fault of the students and the parents.

The teachers I know that work in the poorer schools spend most of their time policing than teaching. The bad kids are draining education time from the good kids.

These are the challenges you're going to face in your new job.

Good luck.

GameDaddy

Explorer
These pack in more kids in a school district which floods schools, going over the standard 25 student per teacher ratio...

I won't teach in a public school. Ideal student teacher ratio is 8-1, All the kids can successfully learn well if the ratio is less than 12-1.

The most I'm willing to do as a teacher is 20-1. That's not a good scenario though, as some student are going to lose ground compared to their peers. I recruit helpers to bring the ratio to 12-1 or less as often as possible. Teachers assistants in public school can help you immensely in this regard, get one if it's allowed at your public school.

I never speak negatively to, or about students, although I will directly address the causes of inadequate efforts of a students to improve.

I intervene every time I witness a student bully, speak negatively, or belittle another student.

Beyond that, I encourage them to pursue their interests.

There are waiting lists for many of my courses.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads