• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Becoming a Teacher

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I start my job tomorrow as a physical science/physics/chemistry teacher in Monticello, AR. My principal has high expectations for me since I have two Master's degrees (physics/astronomy and biology/space science) and I have taught as a graduate student/adjunct professor for all but two years in the past ten. The move has been more stressful than usual (due to the credit card company cancelling on me after I made a large payment so that I could use it for the move [I had to reschedule for next week after I get my next paycheck from the university] and the fact that I was still teaching Organic Chemistry lab until Wednesday). I have gone through the Nontraditional Licensure Route which included 120 hours of educational instruction (I would consider it the biggest waste of time and $1200 I have done except for the fact that I have made some contacts which included a date and finding an old friend). I am a more than a bit nervous and I know that Eric Noah and several others of you are teachers. Any advice?

nedjer

Adventurer
I start my job tomorrow as a physical science/physics/chemistry teacher in Monticello, AR. My principal has high expectations for me since I have two Master's degrees (physics/astronomy and biology/space science) and I have taught as a graduate student/adjunct professor for all but two years in the past ten. The move has been more stressful than usual (due to the credit card company cancelling on me after I made a large payment so that I could use it for the move [I had to reschedule for next week after I get my next paycheck from the university] and the fact that I was still teaching Organic Chemistry lab until Wednesday). I have gone through the Nontraditional Licensure Route which included 120 hours of educational instruction (I would consider it the biggest waste of time and $1200 I have done except for the fact that I have made some contacts which included a date and finding an old friend). I am a more than a bit nervous and I know that Eric Noah and several others of you are teachers. Any advice?

Relax - you know your stuff and the principal's high hopes are probably based on the next couple of years, not the first five minutes or five days.

You'll be getting tested out by students to start with. Follow the procedures consistently, e.g. don't jump on small stuff, but follow the steps methodically when boundaries are crossed.

Considering the student's perspective and the need to review and revise how you explain things at their level may be tricky when you're so skilled and knowledgeable. There's a skills and knowledge gap to bridge - one without the other and you're in the water.

Good luck! :)

fba827

Adventurer
no teacher-specific advice other than
* Relax
* Show confidence, but relaxed confidence (the students are still in "first day" mode, they'll be checking you out for first impressions... )
* Get there early if possible to get used to your surroundings (you'll be less awkward once you find your "space" and feel comfortable, and then the new student element gets added, rather than all new elements at once).
* this goes along with the above, but get a vague idea of where any supplies you'll need are as well as where the bathroom and teacher's lounge are.. it just adds to the "get used to your surroundings" feel
* do you have a simple but stimulating/visual experiment or demonstration that will tie to the first (or early) chapter of the text? might be a good ice breaker

Have you ever DMed? If so, it's kind of like DMing for a new group. :D
You know your stuff. Your students (players) will add lots of chaos. But it's supposed to be fun for everyone involved. As, as said above and by the previous poster: R*E*L*A*X

:)

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:

As already said- relax and go with the flow.

Be fair and consistant

freindly but firm

Keep the classroom fun yet educational.

Sounds like a lot but its easier than it sounds. The first few weeks will be the hardest as each will test the other including the politics of school and its system / community.

Good luck. Teaching is a great way of life and the moment that a student suddenly gets it and understands what you are teaching is awesome. In my short time of being an educator I had that occur several times. Now some of the students are grown up and parents themselves.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Have you ever DMed? If so, it's kind of like DMing for a new group. :D
You know your stuff. Your students (players) will add lots of chaos. But it's supposed to be fun for everyone involved. As, as said above and by the previous poster: R*E*L*A*X

:)

Good Luck!!!

Thanks and yes I have DMed and prefer it to playing. Right now I am just freezing on the lesson plans because I am just used to college where I hit them over the head with content until they get it.

ggroy

First Post
Without raining on the parade too hard, this is what my ex-wife mentioned many times to me. She was a high school teacher, in a well off yuppie suburb.

** Paraphrased ***

At best, actual knowledge of one's subject is at most around 20% to 30% of the job. The other 70% to 80% of the job, is classroom management and dealing with all kinds of other stuff. The more successful high school teachers in such an environment, frequently had a background of being a police officer, prison guard, etc ... The "intellectual" types generally had a horrible time, and frequently left the teaching profession after a year or so. (Some even quit before the school year ended).

For example, one of her former colleagues was teaching high school mathematics and some science classes. This particular colleague was a cop for many years previously. During the years previously as a cop, this person took some college level math classes at a community college and later at the university over a decade or so. (Basically one course per semester, over many years). By the time this person turned in their badge and gun, they just had one more year full-time at the university, to finish off and get a general science degree in mathematics and some credentials which could be used to get a teaching job in the local public school system. On their first day of teaching, this person was able to deal effectively with kids trying to challenge their authority without restoring to physical force. Somehow they were able to get the students' respect, without resorting to fear/intimidation and losing control of the classroom.

Basically for a former cop or prison guard, it was to beat the defiant rebel students at their own game. Apparently extreme rebel types will respect you if you can beat them at their own game.

Last edited:

nedjer

Adventurer
Thanks and yes I have DMed and prefer it to playing. Right now I am just freezing on the lesson plans because I am just used to college where I hit them over the head with content until they get it.

Maybe 'signpost' your lesson plans, i.e. distill each into a few headings or bullet points with the skills and the content at the start. State these learning outcomes to the class and build your lesson round the signposting.

It's 'classic' to pour hours into a highly detailed, content packed lesson plan which doesn't deliver, simply because you didn't spend enough time getting it absolutely clear what the format and learning outcomes are.

Once you've got a template on disc it'll become more and more easy to copy and paste, and start mixing things up a bit.

Otherwise, perhaps ask for advice early, get your line manager to take a look at your efforts, beg staff and fellow newbies for exemplars.

HTH :)

nedjer

Adventurer
Without raining on the parade too hard, this is what my ex-wife mentioned many times to me. She was a high school teacher, in a well off yuppie suburb.

** Paraphrased ***

At best, actual knowledge of one's subject is at most around 20% to 30% of the job. The other 70% to 80% of the job, is classroom management and dealing with all kinds of other stuff. The more successful high school teachers in such an environment, frequently had a background of being a police officer, prison guard, etc ... The "intellectual" types generally had a horrible time, and frequently left the teaching profession after a year or so. (Some even quit before the school year ended).

For example, one of her former colleagues was teaching high school mathematics and some science classes. This particular colleague was a cop for many years previously. During the years previously as a cop, this person took some college level math classes at a community college and later at the university over a decade or so. (Basically one course per semester, over many years). By the time this person turned in their badge and gun, they just had one more year full-time at the university, to finish off and get a general science degree in mathematics and some credentials which could be used to get a teaching job in the local public school system. On their first day of teaching, this person was able to deal effectively with kids trying to challenge their authority without restoring to physical force. Somehow they were able to get the students' respect, without resorting to fear/intimidation and losing control of the classroom.

Basically for a former cop or prison guard, it was to beat the defiant rebel students at their own game. Apparently extreme rebel types will respect you if you can beat them at their own game.

The prison guard and the police officer are literally in the firing line. Most of them aren't in SWAT teams. They know the best way to avoid getting shot is to choose where and when to distract, negotiate and, as a last resort, engage. They also deal with people with different world views than their own, which can equip them to take account of the not so obvious.

An 'intellectual' is, for example, equally capable of seperating a problem group before they even sit down by giving a sound curricular reason, e.g. differentiated activities for part of each class, or on the grounds of allowing other students to be able to work. If they don't do it, they're obstructing learning and 'busted'.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I started today. My 1st block, 4th block, and Homeroom students were pretty good. 3rd block is my conference period. With 2nd block I got through half the material because of the students. I don't have the background to deal with them but our Assistant Principal is currently a national guard major and he is going to come in tomorrow as well as my mentor (she also has a military background as an officer). Plus he gave me a handful of referrals in the future. :devil:

Remus Lupin

Adventurer

** Paraphrased ***

My experience suggests that the Jedi Mind Trick is a central part of police training.

Remove ads