• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) The old fashioned way...

Zerth

First Post
"I don't mind if we don't get horses. I prefer to travel on foot, but anyway suits me. However, we should not skip getting supplies. A task well prepared and planned is half done," Durg says.

Steadfast

First Post
"Perhaps we should split up for the moment then. I could go with Halydin to scout out the movement of the kidnappers while the rest of you get supplies and mounts, whatever we may need. You can catch up to us when you've finished." He looks over to Halydin questioningly.

Gooch

Explorer
The half elf nods his head as he considers the fighters suggestion, "Normally I would not be in favor of spliting our forces but I have to agree with Cailean speed is essential."

"May I suggest that a small group of us press on and function as advanced scouts and link up with the rest of the party at a pre-designated rally point when they are finished gathering provisions."

Knight Otu

First Post
Semabin shortly considers going to the town to pick up a dagger, remembering his earliest training, but decides against it. He is supposed to learn to fight with two scimitars, and to learn when it is not effective. Using a dagger now would only delay that.
"I think it would be best if I join the scouting force. I may not be a tracker, but, should it become necessary, I have a few rations, the healing potion I mentioned, and two oils that improves weapons for a short time."

Zerth

First Post
"Right. That leaves you and me to get the supplies and mounts, master dwarf," Durg says turning to Rogar.

They agree on a suitable point, where to meet again once supplies are purchased, and then the unusual pair of a dwarf and a half-orc set their course towards the town.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
A few clarifications and I can get things moving -

Is the non shopping group going to head out to the meadows and track from there, or work on Halydin's assumptions (more on that in a moment) and head directly towards the area he thinks they will end up?

How are you determining a meeting point, and do you have a backup plan if tracks and signs end up leading away from the planned point?

If you want to find out what your character knows about the tactics or abilities of a race or organization, the way to get it is posting an ooc query, accompanied by any relevant abilities or skills that would aid your in character knowlege. Halydin may, of course, have whatever private assumptions and prejudices he likes about orcs and half orcs, but they advance by character class (with a favored class that has both ride and survival) and some of his premises and conclusions may be incorrect in my adventure.

Kahuna Burger

Steadfast

First Post
I believe we were going to track from the meadow and our meeting point was to be a close estimate to where the Orcs were assumed to be heading. I guess if we're far wrong we'll have to leave one person at the meeting point to head the shoppers in the right direction. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
The Trackers:
It seems the mare had followed a fairly regular path back to the stables from the eastern meadows, for Halydin has no trouble tracking her route. As you enter the meadows the half elf goes slower, trying to find the freshest of tracks, until he sees circling crows off to the right and the group heads over at a brisk pace.

There you find a suprising sight - a wolf the size of a horse lies dead, a fine hunting arrow through it's eyesocket. The ground around it is trampled by many feet, paws and some hooves, and several other arrows of the same make are broken in the dirt. Halydin can tell that the group aproached from and left in the same direction, towards the forest and the mountains beyond. It is hard to tell with all the overlapping tracks, but there were probably at least 5 of the giant wolves in the group.

Halydin:
Something strikes you as od about the downed wolf, you can examine it more closely or recomend moving on following the trail imediately.

The Shoppers:
heading off the manor, you come relitively soon to a small but prosperous town nearby. The gate gaurd (an apparently ceromonial position) directs you to a livery and general store near the center where you can procure mounts and basic gear. (standard SRD prices, if you want to haggle it could lead to lower OR higher ones. :eek: SRD Equpment section)

You also notice a few discreet temples - apparently in this area of the world it is not common for them to actively advertise what god or gods they are dedicated to (perhaps due to the local power of arcane magic?)...

Gooch

Explorer
Halydin slowly examines the area paying close attention to the dead dire wolf carcass.

"Troubling indeed my friends....a large group maybe too large for us to tackle."

OCC: Would like to use my track feat (by determining the depth of the prints) and my examination of the dire wolf's body (by looking at ownership markings/tattoos or rub marks from tack and harness) in order to determine if the wolfs are used as mounts (i.e. Warg Riders) or they are simply feral animals.

Remove ads