• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) Heroes of The Vesper Peaks (Uriel judging)

wolfheart

First Post
As Jairik awaits Lydia's reply, he looks about the tavern for anyone who might fit the description of a guild thief. He has begun to work on a theory that since nothing gets done in this town without the blessing of the thieves' guild, they might be involved in this mining opration, and whatever they are after may be of a dubious nature.

Creamsteak

Explorer
wolfheart said:
Jairik replies to Lydia, "This is a odd bunch here tonight. But what would the guild have to fear from these men, they were close to fighting with each other when I came over here. I don't think they are planning some armed uprising. They all seem to be intent on hearing out Kreepto, and his tale of the new mines, which he believes are headed for ruin."
Lydia explains "Hrm... your not very familiar with the guild then? I work for them, and I won't speak ill of the hand that pays for this fancy armor, but they have an invested interest in this town. In other words, they try to minimize risks and maximize profit margins, so they will cut corners or cut heads when the need arises."

" I am curious, if I may ask another question, how is it that someone as fair as you comes to be wearing such heavy armor? A woman of your beauty would seem to be suited for a life other than that of a soldier." Jairik leans in toward her, awaiting an answer.
"Oh, so you follow through at least. Good to see. I'm certainly not 'beautiful' by my own standards, though. At least you seem to have a more honest heart than that one over there." Lydia points at the now-silent bard on the other side of the room that seems to be staring back in your direction. "I wear this armor because it was my father's profession. We follow our family profession in this town, and my father was a guardsman. I learned sword and axe from him, and crossbow from my mother. I'm one of the Lieutenants in charge of moving gemstone from the mines back to the cleaners and cutters. I lead a group of carts twenty miles twice a week."

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Jolmo said:
After a pause, during which Jagos sits with slightly narrowed eyes, trying to determine whether that was meant as an insult or not, Jagos gestures to his backpack, fitted with bedroll and all, and responds, with a smile that doesn't reach his eyes: "I think you've chosen the wrong person to complain to about folk not staying where they're supposed to." His voice more or less threatening depending on if he deems it an insult or not. He looks over towards the odd group gathered around Kreepto and adds: "Though I suppose you could have picked worse as well."

After letting his words sink in he continues as if nothing had happened: "How long since the kid left anyways?"
[dice]

"Well, um... If I recall correctly, four years to this month. He might be finishing soon I'd think, I just hope his father doesn't give him too hard a time when he returns."

Creamsteak

Explorer
WayneLigon said:
Nace sips a bit more of his drink and listens to Kreepto, and the people around him. The youth wipes his mouth and looks to the kobold. "So.. if they know not to mine that way... hmm. I don't know too much about mining, but it seems that someone must be directing them to do that, in which case someone must either want something buried - or maybe suspects something is buried - in the area they are heading towards? You think the foreman is looking for some kind of treasure? Or.. hmm. You mentioned things that sleep in the rock, and the smoke smell you're smelling... you think they might be nearing the lair of something best left asleep?"

The youth quirks a slight smile. "Just guessing, really. But there has to be a reason, yeah? It'd be interesting to see what's going on there."
"Kreepto was told they are going for more gems. They don't tell Kreepto much. Kreepto smells bad things and bad smells though, and digging up is not what Kreepto would do. Kreepto would make another cave higher on the mountain if Kreepto needed to get into something so near the center."

Creamsteak

Explorer
wolfheart said:
As Jairik awaits Lydia's reply, he looks about the tavern for anyone who might fit the description of a guild thief. He has begun to work on a theory that since nothing gets done in this town without the blessing of the thieves' guild, they might be involved in this mining opration, and whatever they are after may be of a dubious nature.

There are no marked guild members in the tavern, as it is common knowledge in this town that guild members wear yellowed bandanas around their heads, and sometimes arms, as symbols of their status. Marks on these bandanas symbolize the rank and duty of a guild member.

Ferrix

Explorer
*Slightly unsure about the crowd gathered around Kreepto, Kunst figures any time is better than later to figure out what may be going on in the mines. Addressing the kobold tentatively, "Kreepto, you think we could go out and check out the mines ourselves? Maybe if I had a look I could give a word of advice to the foreman if I notice anything really out of the ordinary." Plus perhaps there is something worth finding in those ancient stones that might be of use.

Creamsteak said:
"Kreepto was told they are going for more gems. They don't tell Kreepto much. Kreepto smells bad things and bad smells though, and digging up is not what Kreepto would do. Kreepto would make another cave higher on the mountain if Kreepto needed to get into something so near the center."

OOC: is there any knowledge of the mountain that dwarves might have known which might give Kunst an idea as to why they might be digging for the center of the mountain? rumours? legends? myths? prolly an Intelligence check (+4)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Nace hmms, and toys with his mug as the dwarf speaks to Kreepto. He sets the mug down after finishing the last bit of ale left in it and looks to the pair. "If you're both set to explore, I'd like to come along," the youth says.

"Some of the surrounding area I know. And if something is really wrong down there, they might beleive us more than poor Kreepto here."

*And I,* the youth thought, *won't have to be a pack mule for some fat merchant's wife with more silver than sense. Even caravan work is better than this!*

Knowledge Geography roll to see if perhaps I know something useful about the mine area.
[dice]

jtone

Explorer
Jaret is really getting uncomfortable with the sheer mass of people in the tavern, so he jumps on the idea of going someplace that less crowded. Sure, let's go check out the mines. Besides, as a priest of the forge god, it is fitting that he should learn more of mining and where the raw material for the forge comes from. Too bad it's a gem mine and not an iron mine.

Last edited:

Jolmo

First Post
Jagos has grown quite interested in the pieces of Kreeptos tale that he has heard and are eager for some excitement. He quickly excuses himself to his neighbor and goes up to the group gathered around the kobold and says: "I heard you talking about looking into this mine problem. I'd go with you, if you do not mind. If there are indeed some trouble, you might be glad for another man at your side." While talking he passes his stare among those who seem to listen to what he says, trying to gauge their reaction.

Remove ads