• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A challenge (or two)

buzzard

First Post
This is essentially two challenges, though one is much easier than the other. First off, take a look at the following creature.

War Troll of legend/ Monk 3, Cr: 17
Hit Dice 12d8+3d8 + 210 ( 277 hp)
Initiative +13
Speed 50
AC: 47 (-1 size, +19 natural armor, +8 dex, +6 wisdom, +3 armor, +2 deflection), Touch 25, flat footed 33
Base Attack/grapple: +15/+34
Attack: Claw + 32 1d8+16
Full Attack: 2 claws +32 melee (1d8+16) and bite+30 melee (1d6+8); or masterwork composite longbow +22/+16/+12 (2d6+10/x3)
Space/Reach: 10ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Dazing Blow DC 30, Frightful presence DC 17
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/adamantine, darkvision 90 ft., low-light vision, regeneration 9, scent, spell resistance 20, immune to acid, spell turning, evasion, still mind
Saves: Fort +27, Ref +25, Will +24
Abilities: Str 42, Dex 28, Con 38, Int 15, Wis 22, Cha 12
Skills: Listen +22, Spot +22, Jump +32, Knowledge (history) + 4, tumble +21
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Multi-attack, Weapon focus(claws); power attack, acrobatic, improved unarmed strike, improved grapple, combat reflexes, hold the line
Alignment: LE
Equipment: Cloak of protection +3, bracers of armor +3, +2 ring of protection , +2 gloves of dexterity, periapt of wisdom +2

Ok. Challenge one- what is wrong with this picture.

Challenge two, since I have realized that something is wrong, what I can I do to top it or at least match it? The stipulation would be that you can only use WoTC 3.5 books (though MM II is acceptable).

buzzard

IcyCool

First Post
I don't have War Troll in front of me, but unless it gets bonus feats, you have two more feats than you should have.

buzzard

First Post
On the feat numbers, I'm gonna have to look at that, you are likely correct.

On the monk abilities, I passed on stunning fist for improved grapple. Also I didn't list flurry since I'm using natural attacks instead, and won't be using it.

However, there is a glaring error which people haven't seen (which, having been called on it myself, is why I must revise things).

buzzard

Pinotage

Explorer
I thought it may be that the Monster of Legend template doesn't apply to giants, but the War Trolls for some reason are Monstrous Humanoids. There goes that idea. Other than that, can't think of anything.

Pinotage

buzzard

First Post
Pinotage said:
I thought it may be that the Monster of Legend template doesn't apply to giants, but the War Trolls for some reason are Monstrous Humanoids. There goes that idea. Other than that, can't think of anything.

Pinotage

We have a winner. The "Of Legend" Template is restricted to animals, beasts, magical beasts, and monstrous humanoids. Therefore my cuddle troll must go the way of the Do Do.

So now comes the second part of the challenge. He do we improve upon this legally.

My initial inclination is to keep the legend template and try for a monstrous humanoid. A minotaur might work in this regard, I still have to run the numbers and try out various classes. However there are a couple of things I want out of the critter.

He's got to be quite intelligent. The encounter he's used in is one in which the players are meant to negotiate. Thus the critter has to be fairly smart (min Int 12 methinks), but should also be a serious can of whupass. I'd like to make sure he's fairly impervious to most things (hence why I liked the spell turning, which I will be able to keep with the legend template).

We essentially need good saves, high strength, good con. Good damage would also be nice, but special attacks probably aren't very crucial. I also want a real twinky AC. In the even that players take this guy on, they should have some reason to regret it.

buzzard

FEADIN

Explorer
buzzard said:
We have a winner. The "Of Legend" Template is restricted to animals, beasts, magical beasts, and monstrous humanoids. Therefore my cuddle troll must go the way of the Do Do.

So now comes the second part of the challenge. He do we improve upon this legally.

My initial inclination is to keep the legend template and try for a monstrous humanoid. A minotaur might work in this regard, I still have to run the numbers and try out various classes. However there are a couple of things I want out of the critter.

He's got to be quite intelligent. The encounter he's used in is one in which the players are meant to negotiate. Thus the critter has to be fairly smart (min Int 12 methinks), but should also be a serious can of whupass. I'd like to make sure he's fairly impervious to most things (hence why I liked the spell turning, which I will be able to keep with the legend template).

We essentially need good saves, high strength, good con. Good damage would also be nice, but special attacks probably aren't very crucial. I also want a real twinky AC. In the even that players take this guy on, they should have some reason to regret it.

buzzard

Make him a Parangon :cool:

Remove ads