D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

dave2008

Legend
I have added the first two AD&D monsters: The marilith battlemaster and balor battle lord (I know - not very creative on the names). These are both "elite" monsters, see the table in the OP. Let me know what you think.

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Goristro - Chosen of Baphomet and updated the Balor. I replaced the Balor's legendary resistance with the Unstoppable trait.

dave2008

Legend
probably lowering the CR of the existing monsters does the same thing no?
No, the premise (right or wrong) is that the existing CR and encounter guidelines work fairly well for a group that is not using feats and multiclassing, only has a few to no magic items, and low to no optimization. So, the intent is not to change that, but provide an additional layer for more complex games. This would go hand in hand with the revised encounter guidelines I am working on in another thread. So the MM monsters could still be used by AD&D players, but the encounter guidelines would take into account that they are not as strong.

Does that make sense?

dave2008

Legend
No, the premise (right or wrong) is that the existing CR and encounter guidelines work fairly well for a group that is not using feats and multiclassing, only has a few to no magic items, and low to no optimization. So, the intent is not to change that, but provide an additional layer for more complex games. This would go hand in hand with the revised encounter guidelines I am working on in another thread. So the MM monsters could still be used by AD&D players, but the encounter guidelines would take into account that they are not as strong.

Does that make sense?

EDIT: If you just move the monsters up and down the CR scale it makes things a bit odd with BA.

CapnZapp

Legend
probably lowering the CR of the existing monsters does the same thing no?
It would get close, yes.

However, it would also severely depopulate the high CR club of the Monster Manual, which would necessitate creating an awful lot of new monsters to fill the void.

Which would mean that you don't actually save all that work you think you save by just changing CRs... :)

Zardnaar

Legend
It would get close, yes.

However, it would also severely depopulate the high CR club of the Monster Manual, which would necessitate creating an awful lot of new monsters to fill the void.

Which would mean that you don't actually save all that work you think you save by just changing CRs... :)

5E is not good at high levles. Most of the high CR monsters are weak as hell anyway.

Tome of Beasts helps a bit. I would just ower the CR of most critters over CR 14 by 3-7.

you could also power upthings like Dragons by bringing back rules form AD&D like requiring +2 and +3 weapons, spell resistance that cuase your spell to outright fail etc.

Remove ads