• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e - Forseeing the shape of thing to come?

In your opinion, what could be core in 4th edition...

• New core races from the Complete series like goliaths or illumians

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • New core races from Eberron such as warforged, shifters, changelings

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • New core races from Forgotten Realms such as planetouched

Votes: 52 19.6%
  • New core classes from Complete such as ninja and warlock

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • New core classes from Eberron such as artificers and magewrights

Votes: 47 17.7%
  • Swift and Immediate Actions (and spells) from the Complete series

Votes: 158 59.6%
  • Action Points

Votes: 137 51.7%
  • the Deathless type of monster (Eberron, Ghostwalk)

Votes: 45 17.0%
  • Flaws (from Unearthed Arcana)

Votes: 72 27.2%
  • Metamagic Feat overhaul

Votes: 190 71.7%
  • DnD will remain d20 rules based

Votes: 220 83.0%
  • Spell names will be simplified leaving out Greyhawk wizard names

Votes: 122 46.0%

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Eric Anondson said:
I predict that the 4th edition will have a greater modularity. That is, a DM could remove Attacks of Opportunity from his game and not have it impact the entire rules system so dramatically.

Either that, or AoOs will be even more simplified.

Regards,
Eric Anondson

How much of a real impact would that have now? You'd lose mobility and combat reflexes (or have them do something else). Maybe 'casting on the defensive' would be gone too?

If AoO's got much more simplified they probably shouldn't even be in the books. :\

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Note that he specifically mentions that we'll likely be given 'a year or two' notice in advance of 4e. But then again, we gamers are a very annoying bunch who refuse to believe anything we're told. :p
And if you believe that, I have some nice lake-bott...errr....lake front property to sell you... :D

No company is ever going to give you notice that they are releasing a revised game line prior to their press releases saying it is coming out. To do so is tantamount to sales suicide as sales of the version being replaced will die very swiftly.

You are better off being an "Optimistic Pessimist" like me. Expect the worst, but hope for the best. That way you won't be surprised, and can be delighted when you are wrong. :D

Rasyr said:
And if you believe that, I have some nice lake-bott...errr....lake front property to sell you... :D

No company is ever going to give you notice that they are releasing a revised game line prior to their press releases saying it is coming out. To do so is tantamount to sales suicide as sales of the version being replaced will die very swiftly.

You are better off being an "Optimistic Pessimist" like me. Expect the worst, but hope for the best. That way you won't be surprised, and can be delighted when you are wrong. :D
I'll buy your lake if you admit the sky is falling and that the we never actually went to the moon. :p

diaglo

Adventurer
Jolly Giant said:
I certainly hope that's true! I like 3.5 a lot, and I don't WANT a new edition. Sure, 3.x isn't perfect, but what is?

OD&D(1974).

OD&D(1974) is the only true game. All the other editions are just poor imitations of the real thing.

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I'll buy your lake if you admit the sky is falling and that the we never actually went to the moon. :p

The sky already fell (or are you to young to remember skylab?), but we did go to the moon.

Ok, to get back on topic (sort of).

In another thread (the GoO thread, IIRC), I think that it was Mearls who commented that he thinks that 4E is coming soon because of the number of freelancers that wotc has been hiring recently.

I have also talked with other publishers, and a number of them are also of the opinion that 4E is coming soon. As for whether or not it will be OGL, the opinions differ there. Same for the greater dependence upon minis, differences of opinions there.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want to see 4E come out until at least 2010, however, from things I am seeing and even a few things I am hearing, I do think it is coming much much sooner than that.

Belen

Adventurer
Rasyr said:
The sky already fell (or are you to young to remember skylab?), but we did go to the moon.

Ok, to get back on topic (sort of).

In another thread (the GoO thread, IIRC), I think that it was Mearls who commented that he thinks that 4E is coming soon because of the number of freelancers that wotc has been hiring recently.

I have also talked with other publishers, and a number of them are also of the opinion that 4E is coming soon. As for whether or not it will be OGL, the opinions differ there. Same for the greater dependence upon minis, differences of opinions there.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want to see 4E come out until at least 2010, however, from things I am seeing and even a few things I am hearing, I do think it is coming much much sooner than that.

Or it could be that they need someone to write all those new book series that they have scheduled. It is not like they have a decent core writing staff any longer.

cmanos

First Post
I have no desire to see a 4ed. If 4ed came out, I wouldn't buy it. I've spent enough money on 3.5 and I enjoy the system. It's not perfect, but I'm not gonna dump more money into something I don't play constantly. All the new editions are are a way for the company to reinvent the game so people will buy more product.

Belen

Adventurer
For those who say that we will get no advanced warning about 4e. How do you explain 3e? We knew about that a year in advance. Hopefully, they playtest to the same extent as 3e, but I doubt that...

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
BelenUmeria said:
For those who say that we will get no advanced warning about 4e. How do you explain 3e? We knew about that a year in advance. Hopefully, they playtest to the same extent as 3e, but I doubt that...
And how much advance warning did we have for 3.5? Maybe 6 months, if that?

When WotC does do 4E (whenever that is), do not expect any major advance warning. The most I would expect is Dragon doing articles starting in January (possibly later, depending on what marketing to be done for it) of the year in which it gets released. I would also expect the release to be a GenCon release (tons of gamers in a single place, most wanting to get something before it hits the stores - perfect setup).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads