• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e - Forseeing the shape of thing to come?

In your opinion, what could be core in 4th edition...

• New core races from the Complete series like goliaths or illumians

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • New core races from Eberron such as warforged, shifters, changelings

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • New core races from Forgotten Realms such as planetouched

Votes: 52 19.6%
  • New core classes from Complete such as ninja and warlock

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • New core classes from Eberron such as artificers and magewrights

Votes: 47 17.7%
  • Swift and Immediate Actions (and spells) from the Complete series

Votes: 158 59.6%
  • Action Points

Votes: 137 51.7%
  • the Deathless type of monster (Eberron, Ghostwalk)

Votes: 45 17.0%
  • Flaws (from Unearthed Arcana)

Votes: 72 27.2%
  • Metamagic Feat overhaul

Votes: 190 71.7%
  • DnD will remain d20 rules based

Votes: 220 83.0%
  • Spell names will be simplified leaving out Greyhawk wizard names

Votes: 122 46.0%

MonsterMash

First Post
I voted for a number of things including more core classes, metamagic overhaul and dropping the Greyhawk wizards names.

I agree about a greater miniatures basis, but in some ways I don't know why I bothered as I probably wouldn't bother buying it.

Zappo

Explorer
I'm positive that the game will stay D20-based. The core D20 mechanics have proven to be very solid.

Metamagic is going to be revamped; Complete Arcane is a symptom that WotC recognized metamagic as having issues.

I'd like to see Action Points. But that's just an "I'd like to see". :p

I don't think we'll have more classes. Every extra class makes the game more complex, but after a point, the added complexity no longer helps the game much.

Swift and Immediate actions sound like a nice way to formalize stuff that was already there.

Seeker95

First Post
4th Edition Considerations

Before it will be called 4th Edition it will have to be *significantly different* from 3rd edition. New classes and races are cosmetic. Compiling content from the splat/sourcebooks is not "new edition" -- that would simply be a 3.5 Compiled Sourcebook.

I doubt 4th edition will depart from the "d20 higher is better" approach, but I feel 4th edition will be a radical departure from the current approach to character class construction. Perhaps rather than more classes, it will have fewer. Build your own character from four (three?) base classes: Rogue, Warrior, Mage, Priest (mage and priest could be "caster" instead). Add to this the combination of character development feats and skills that create the flavor you want.

Spellcasting is unlikely to change a great deal, but I would assume a major overhaul in metamagic. The current system is getting bloated. If we do see a big change in spells, it would likely be the introduction of spell points as core.

Feats in general may see a major overhaul or revision, bringing Bloodlines, Regionals, General, and Trees into a more unified approach. If the simplification / customization of character development occurs, the Feat system will be integrated with this.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I'd like to see the spell system unified, in much the same way d20 unified the old D&D rules. At present lots of spells have their own little subsystems.

The_Gneech

Explorer
HiLiphNY said:
I have absolutely NO INTEREST in discussing DnD 4.0! This is rediculous!!

I'm holding out for the 4.25 version - I hear that is where the real meat is gonna be!

I have it on good authority that 4.25 completely shafted the nerf.

-The Gneech ("Or was it nerfed the shaft? I can't keep track.")

diaglo

Adventurer
The_Gneech said:
I have it on good authority that 4.25 completely shafted the broken nerf of all its balanced fluffy crunch.

-The Gneech ("Or was it nerfed the broken shaft? I can't keep track.")

fixxed that 4 ya.

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I predict that the 4th edition will have a greater modularity. That is, a DM could remove Attacks of Opportunity from his game and not have it impact the entire rules system so dramatically.

Either that, or AoOs will be even more simplified.

Regards,
Eric Anondson

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I skimmed through the replies, but didn't see anyone mention this:
The new races (goliaths and illumians are mentioned) are from the Races books, not the Complete books. I dont' think the Complete books have new races at all.

Belen

Adventurer
Interestingly enough, I just found out that the WOTC Delegate program does not support DnD. They support DnD Minis, but you cannot run DnD demos.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads