• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 3rd-Party Publishers' Thoughts on 4E

Warden

First Post
Actually, what seems to be fuelling the fire is the outright refusal to discuss the rumours by publishers and WotC themselves, from what I've seen. The feat that such whispering MIGHT lead to conjectue about 4E -- by closing down threads and publicly stating objections to an article about the rumour -- is actually causing more interest in the topic than anything else. When an authority displays a sign of fear over a rumour, those spreading the rumour become curious as to why it makes them so fearful, so they push harder. At least one person I've talked to said he's only doing it for a lark, and likely would stop if there wasn't this knee jerk reaction to the topic.

To be honest, the panicked look on everyone's faces is actually inspiring me to write about it more than ever. Why is everyone so hesitant about an article written about the rumours? Well, let's find out.

I had thought of posting my conclusions here, but then why would anyone want to read the article if got the spoiler here? But, I'll tell you what: any publisher that wants to actually see if for themselves and draw their own conclusions from it is more than welcome to send me an email to get a free copy (instead of the $2.50).

ukgpublishing

First Post
afstanton said:
Wait a minute...if Mongoose Matt says something like this...hmm...pulling our collective leg, or subtly telling us something?

I think Matt is probably pulling our legs, however considering this is WotC the owners of the Golden Goose that is MtG (9th edition out soon) it goes without saying that a 4th edition of D&D (and hopefully d20 license) will happen, the only real question is when. I wouldn't expect to see this in the next 12 months but 2 years, its certainly possible.

Warden said:
My personal curiosity in this article is to see why there are some people specifically asking for a 4E when they could easily pick up any other game system. If it reveals a void in the game, isn't it also the responsibility of publishers to find a way to fill that void?
It's because they don't want another game system. They want D&D. But they want it a different than it is now. They want their house rules/system to be the system. I've wanted that since 1e. Until I buy D&D (oh, like tomorrow), it won't happen.

Seekers of conspiracies will always find them. I find discussing the possibility of 4e equivalent to discussing changes in the 2012 tax code. Yeah, they'll happen but I can't predict them. And until they exist, I can't worry about them.

Roudi

First Post
Warden said:
The role of creating a new system through the magazine is a creative exercise more than anything else,
If your goal is to create a new system, you should try and find a more intuitive medium than a magazine or e-zine. Something that receives submissions, works on things, and then releases periodically doesn't seem like a very intuitive medium. You should consider a Wiki; they seem to better facilitate a collective creative endeavour.

Just my two cents. Personally, I couldn't care less whether 4E is imminent or twenty years away. All the time spent speculating is time that could have been spent creating new things.

Remove ads