• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3e and Neverwinter Nights

psyronin

Explorer
kreynolds said:

I got ya' last time. Like I said, I believe it's a requirement that you have been wearing the amulet for the majority of your current level, and when you level again, while still wearing the amulet, you would gain the bonus spell slots and the capability to cast spells of that level.

The capability to cast spells of a given level is not tied to a character leveling up. It's only dependant on the ability score. I don't know where you're getting that from. The only thing in the PHB/DMG I've found that refers to something that had to be on for most of the character's level to gain a benefit is the number of skills points you get when you level up. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this respect.

Back to my original question, and making it really, really simple:
I'm a wizard with Int 14. I find a 5th level arcane spell scroll, and the spell is on my class list. I cast Fox's Cunning on myself, so now I have Int 16. Can I cast the spell from the scroll?

Lela

First Post
psyronin said:
Alright, thanks for your help. NWN got another rule wrong. Looks like my wait for a practically-compliant 3e game goes on.

It could just be an error--though a strange one. Don't go nuts over this.

kreynolds

First Post
psyronin said:
Alright, thanks for your help. NWN got another rule wrong. Looks like my wait for a practically-compliant 3e game goes on.

You should have expected that though, seeing as how they didn't convert to 3rd edition rules until towards the very end of it's development. To tell the truth, what they implemented so far has been pretty amazing, as far as gameplay is concerned. Again, I'm not so sure it's in error at all. But, if it is an error, it's nothing compared to the two-weapon fighting glitch that pops up from time to time.

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
psyronin said:
So is NWN wrong, or did I misinterpret or miss a rule?

My reading would be that (like many other rules) NWN is wrong.
The PH language says nothing about "minimum base Intelligence".

Crothian

First Post
Do they have spells that increase Int, Wis, or CHa? If so they mighty have gone wit base stat to keep from having these spells be abused.

Lela

First Post
kreynolds said:

But, if it is an error, it's nothing compared to the two-weapon fighting glitch that pops up from time to time.

Two-Weapon Fighting seems to be a glitch for almost all computer programs. It's in NWNs, PCGen is currently trying to lick it, and there've rumurs that e-Tools will have a similar problem. Even some players can't seem to get it down, especally how to note it on the character sheet.

Guess it's just one of those rules.:rolleyes:

Remove ads