• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3e and Neverwinter Nights

psyronin

Explorer
In the NWN game, to cast a spell you need a base relevant ability score of to 10 + the spell level. By base I mean that if you have Wis 14 and you put on an amulet of Wis +2, the highest level of clerical spells you can cast is still 4 and not 6. AFAIK, in 3e there is no such thing as base ability score and you should be able to cast level 6 spells.
So is NWN wrong, or did I misinterpret or miss a rule?

kreynolds

First Post
psyronin said:
AFAIK, in 3e there is no such thing as base ability score

PH, page 9, Intelligence (Int).

The minimum intelligence needed to cast a wizard spell is 10 + the spell's level.

The same applies to Wisdom and Charisma, and is explained under each stat respectively.

Last edited:

psyronin

Explorer
Not the answer I was looking for. You didn't need to quote me the PHB, I am familiar with those rules. But seeing NWN behave differently in that respect gave me pause. Maybe I misread those rules? Maybe I missed a Sage ruling or something?
So let's make it really simple. I'm a cleric with Wis 14. I put on a amulet of Wis +2, so now I have Wis 16. Is the highest level spell I can cast 4 or 6?

HEL Pit Fiend

First Post
NWN does stray from 3e rules in many areas, did you know that you could build a fighter/monk and have 7 attacks by 20th level...

+19/+16/+13/+10/+7/+4/+1

Also, 2 rings of resistance will stack in the game, which they shouldn't (same bonus types NEVER stack, cept for dodge of course)

And thats just for starters, don't depend on NWN for any 3e rules clarifications...

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
psyronin said:
Not the answer I was looking for.

Then I apologize for the way you funkily phrased your question. ;)

psyronin said:
You didn't need to quote me the PHB, I am familiar with those rules.

You stated "AFAIK, in 3e there is no such thing as base ability score". It seemed that you were not familiar with the rules in the PH. Like I said, looking at your question again, it was phrased pretty funky.

psyronin said:
So let's make it really simple. I'm a cleric with Wis 14. I put on a amulet of Wis +2, so now I have Wis 16. Is the highest level spell I can cast 4 or 6?

AFAIK, the higher spells don't become available to you until your level, and you must have been wearing the amulet for the majority of your previous level. The same applies to bonus spells. You don't immediately get the bonus spells when you put on the amulet. Maybe someone else can tell you specifically where that comes from.

Last edited:

psyronin

Explorer
Making it really simple, Take 2

I am a level 11 Cleric with Wis 14. I have one non-domain 6th level spell slot. Although I cannot cast 6th level spells I can put any spell of levels 0 through 4 in that slot.
I find an amulet of Wis +2 and I put it on so now I have Wis 16. I go to sleep and have a refreshing rest.
Now, in the morning, can I put a 6th level spell in that 6th level slot, and can I cast it?

Lela

First Post
psyronin said:

I am a level 11 Cleric with Wis 14. I have one non-domain 6th level spell slot. Although I cannot cast 6th level spells I can put any spell of levels 0 through 4 in that slot.
I find an amulet of Wis +2 and I put it on so now I have Wis 16. I go to sleep and have a refreshing rest.
Now, in the morning, can I put a 6th level spell in that 6th level slot, and can I cast it?

I think this is a yes. I know I bass this somewhat on rules I read but I don't remember where (I know, I'm not helping). I say this just because it becomes almost perminant.

Then again, it could be similar to Owl's Wisdom, in which case it would raise saving throw DCs but not more spells per day. They are the same type of bonus, which gives credit to this side.

kreynolds

First Post
psyronin said:

I got ya' last time. Like I said, I believe it's a requirement that you have been wearing the amulet for the majority of your current level, and when you level again, while still wearing the amulet, you would gain the bonus spell slots and the capability to cast spells of that level.

I probably wouldn't mind immediately (after rest, recharge, what have you) giving you access to your higher spell slots, but I don't think I'd give you the bonus slots until you leveled.

Last edited:

Remove ads