• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 3.75E or 4E?

3.75E or 4E?

• Think 3.75E, Hope for 3.75E

Votes: 76 25.1%
  • Think 3.75E, Hope for 4E

Votes: 30 9.9%
  • Think 4E, Hope for 4E

Votes: 74 24.4%
  • Think 4E, Hope for 3.75E

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • Hope for Neither, 3.5E to Infinity and Beyond

Votes: 90 29.7%

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Wombat said:
As it is, I expect something like the differences between 1e & 2e -- same thing, only more so, with no real attempt to look at the holes in the game.

Edited: I can't read straight today! :(

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
I'd like someone to do a comprehensive official clean-up, including integrating all magic, and I'd be happy for that to be called 4e.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
I'm in the 4E crowd, but honestly, I hope it's a ways down the line from now.

IMHO, switching to 4E now is just shooting themselves in the foot with a lot of their licensed materials, esp. console/computer RPGs (which take time to develop). I think those games help market D&D to a younger generation, and getting a general sense of the rules can help quite a bit.

Then again, I'm hoping for more generic/malleable base classes sans AL requirements (with more focused prestige classes, where AL requirements will come into play), a somewhat reduced spell list that uses Feats to expand versatility (energy types for damage, notably), reworked PC races (so some cultural elements can be chosen instead of hardwired, like an elf's free martial weapon proficiencies, or various Skill bonuses).

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Quartz said:
I'd like someone to do a comprehensive official clean-up, including integrating all magic, and I'd be happy for that to be called 4e.

Yes, absolutely. 3.0 and 3.5 -- did they even have editors? Of course they did but the way the books are laid out is nightmarish! :mad: Very poor layout/editing as far as a number of us are concerned in our gaming group. Still, we are sticking with 3.5 because we have spent TONS of money already.

Nellisir

Hero
Rokes said:
Maybe I've missed it before, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention an Advanced 3.5e. IMO this would make more marketing sense than a 3.75e. I'd be willing to be more people would be willing to buy into an AD&D 3.5e set of books that would essentially be a 3.75e with minor rules tweaks and the inclusion of all the "advanced" rules of Character Rebuilding, Reserve Feats, Skill Tricks, and the like. I don't think, however, that it should include things like Incarnum, Psionics, ToM, ToB, etc, which I see as being outside the "core" of D&D in general.

Here's a vote for AD&D 3.5! :D

I think, fundamentally, -calling- 3.5 "3.5" was a huge mistake. It, in essence, created an awareness of the "space" between editions and conjured up the spectres that this thread is all about - a "minor" revision (3.75e) vs a "major" revision (4e). If WotC does go with 3.75, what's next? 3.875e? 3.9375e?

They ought to have called 3.5 "Revised Third Edition" and gotten over it.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
With all the clarifications that have gone into the FAQ and all the erratas I think that a 3.75 revision would be fine, thyough they wouldn't necessarily need to call it that.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Nellisir said:
I think, fundamentally, -calling- 3.5 "3.5" was a huge mistake. It, in essence, created an awareness of the "space" between editions and conjured up the spectres that this thread is all about - a "minor" revision (3.75e) vs a "major" revision (4e). If WotC does go with 3.75, what's next? 3.875e? 3.9375e?

Agreed. I believe this is why the '3.75' (i.e. a revised version of 3.5) will just be called 4E when it released for this very reason.

Droogie

Explorer
I'm hoping for a minor revision (whatever edition you want to call it) that would refine the bumps and wrinkles in the rules, but not so major that it would render 3.5 material useless.

Of course, I only say that for the sake of my gaming buddies who have shelves and shelves of 3.5 crap. Personally, I don't have that many books, so I'm probably in the minority here when I say I wouldn't mind a major overhaul. But that won't happen, since it seems that the D&D community is openly hostile to that idea.

Marnak

First Post
"Revised Third Edition"

Nellisir said:

I think Nellisir is right. 3.5 was a terrible name because it put WoTC in its present predicament. Namely, revise along lines most people seem to want (i.e. slight revision what I have called 3.75E) and be stuck with either giving it the aesthetically unpleasing name of 3.75E or calling it 4E. If they call it 4E, however, they are really mislabeling the product as it wouldn't be anything like as drastic a change as any of the other edition changes. Thus, 4E would end up looking like it was released EVEN MORE for the sake of making money than it actually is (and we all know that any 3.75E or 4E IS going to be driven in part by the need to make money for HASBRO). So, I think WoTC has a difficult decision on their hands, and I think they will try to split the difference, releasing something just enough different to justify the title 4E without being so different as to alienate all those people who like 3.5E and want the books they have bought to remain compatible with the new edition. I am not sure if or how they will pull this off, but I am interested to see what they do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads