• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 3.75E or 4E?

3.75E or 4E?

• Think 3.75E, Hope for 3.75E

Votes: 76 25.1%
  • Think 3.75E, Hope for 4E

Votes: 30 9.9%
  • Think 4E, Hope for 4E

Votes: 74 24.4%
  • Think 4E, Hope for 3.75E

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • Hope for Neither, 3.5E to Infinity and Beyond

Votes: 90 29.7%

diaglo

Adventurer
Marnak said:
My question: which do you think is the more likely next announcment from Wizards of the Coast: 3.75E or 4E?

more likely 4e

And, regardless of which one you think is coming, which one are you hoping for?

edit: none of the above. i don't even want 3.11ed for Workgroups

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
There are a couple of key areas I want Wizards to address before they consider putting out a revised set of core rulebooks. Once these are addressed, and the knock-on effects thereof applied, I think it would be appropriate to label the result 4e (but not 3.75). However, I don't think the changes would be quite as significant as the 2e - 3e shift.

I also expect Wizards to announce a 'true' 4e rather than a slight rules update. (Though whatever they actually announce, I expect they would call it 4e.) I have a growing worry, though, that they might engage in a completely different set of revisions than I would prefer, and I fear they may take the game in what I would consider the 'wrong' direction.

Ghendar

First Post
Aaron L said:
I think 3.75 would piss more people off than anything else they could do.

A 3.75 that is compatible with 3.5 would not piss off more people than a completely new 4.0 that forces people to buy all new books.

A complete rewrite is NOT necessary at this point. Going from 2E to 3E was needed, imo. Going from 3.5 to a totally new 4.0 is not necessary for all the reasons pedr (above) mentioned.

hong

WotC's bitch
diaglo said:
more likely 4e

which do i hope for: none of the above choices in the poll satisfy my needs.
. . .

Is JoeBlank going to find the real diaglo's body in his garage next morning?

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I'm being realistic in that I realize revenue concerns will drive a new release. If this weren't an inevitable event I would vote "hope for neither."

But I voted Think 3.75, Hope for 4.0. I don't want another 1E -> 2E fiasco or another 3E -> 3.5 'clean-up' of the rules. When WotC is ready to launch another major event I hope it brings with it new ideas and concepts to make it different enough to warrant such a release. You had your chance WotC to 'fix' things with 3.5, just move on if your still not happy with the end result.

But I am pessimistic and assume the worst, so I think it will be 3.75, but called 4E.

Last edited:

Rokes

First Post
Maybe I've missed it before, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention an Advanced 3.5e. IMO this would make more marketing sense than a 3.75e. I'd be willing to be more people would be willing to buy into an AD&D 3.5e set of books that would essentially be a 3.75e with minor rules tweaks and the inclusion of all the "advanced" rules of Character Rebuilding, Reserve Feats, Skill Tricks, and the like. I don't think, however, that it should include things like Incarnum, Psionics, ToM, ToB, etc, which I see as being outside the "core" of D&D in general.

Here's a vote for AD&D 3.5! :D

Wombat

First Post
I would definitely hope for a significant re-write, but the I know I am in the minority for the kinds of re-writing I would want... ;)

As it is, I expect something like the differences between 1e & 2e -- same thing, only more so, with no real attempt to look at the holes in the game.

Imaro

Legend
I voted think 4e, hope 4e. Not necessarily because I want a totally new addition to D&D. It's moreso a case of I will not buy a 3.75 edition(even if its called 4e), after buying enough 3.0 and 3.5 books to last me a lifetime, I could only see myself investing in a new edition if it changed drastically and in a direction I felt was "better" than 3.5 ie simplifying or "dumbing down" the rules. Otherwise games such as C&C and True20 give me my fix for a simpler system and I can use the 3.x library I have with them.

I am curious to see what move WotC will make as far as this is concerned. I see advantages and disadvantages to either choice. I also doubt a new edition will be anywhere near as popular as 3.x. With the resurgence of interest in older editions, simpler variants, fans who stayed with 3.0 and those who choose to stay with 3.5, It seems as if the market is destined to fracture more than it already has.

I think one reason it didn't with 3.5 is because the OGL was still new and games such as True20, C&C, OSRIC, OGL games etc. hadn't been produced yet(basically a limited market). Each of these variants may not sell as much as D&D, but they do affect it's market base.

The above reasoning is why I see WotC's best option is trying to simplify and make the game appeal to a mainstream audience, they need a new customer base and rehashing of the old isn't going to do that. The game needs to have lower entry-level requirements, and mass-market appeal if it will continue to prosper.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads