• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Power Attack fix ... and stuff

Hey

For the record, no, I haven't played with 3.5 as is yet and I don't own the books. However, Power Attack annoyed me in 3.0, and it annoys me more now. So I came up with two feats to replace it. Please comment if you see anything that reminds you of cognitive thought.

Finesse Attack [General, Fighter]
Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon, BAB +1 or higher.
Benefit: This feat can be used only when the character is using a light weapon, a rapier, or a spiked chain.
On the character's action, before making attack rolls for a round, the character may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed the character's base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage applies until the character's next action.

Power Attack [General, Fighter]
Prerequisite: Str 13+
Benefit: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to take a -2 penalty to you armor class and add 1.5 times your Strength bonus to all melee damage rolls. The penalty to armor class and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.
Special: If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice your Strength bonus to damage. You can't add the bonus from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon (except with unarmed strikes or natural weapon attacks), even though the penalty to armor class still applies. (Normally, you treat a double weapon as a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. If you choose to use a double weapon like a two-handed weapon, attacking with only one end of it in a round, you treat it as a two-handed weapon).

Thanks
-Matt

Errrr ... oh yeah, some comments and stuff ...

Finesse Attack is the old Power Attack, but now only useable for lighter weapons. It's the same list as Weapon Finesse - if 3.5 changes that list more than Olgar has posted over on the General board, the list will change accordingly. Thus, this feat is for finesse fighters (and possibly two-weapon wielders and dual wielders).

This version of Power Attack is the 3.5 version, only with set numbers instead of a variable amount. I changed this only because I envision Power Attacking to be making crushing but wild "haymaker" swings, leaving yourself open to counter attack. This feat is better for two-handed and shield tanks, though two-weapon and dual-wielders might want it too. Quick question - should the AC penalty be greater?

Thanks
-Matt

Technik4

First Post
Your power attack seems more like rage. Why the loss in defense? I mean, think about where the defense comes from:

Plate Armor, Dex (and if youre wearing plate, not much here), Shield, Magic.

Why would a more powerful attack subtract any of those bonuses?

I like trading accuracy for power.

Also "Finesse Attack" implies to me trading damage for accuracy.

Technik

Hey

Like I said, I envision a Power Attack as a wild swing that a warrior puts every ounce of strength into, most likely leaving an opening for a counter attack. This, most likely, is where the Barbarians raging AC penalty comes from. In both cases the attacker is sacrificing a calm and levelheaded approach that balances defense and offense, and replaces it with an all-out attack for maximum damage.

The problem with trading accuracy for damage is that I don't think taking a powerful swing makes you any less accurate with your strike (picture playing baseball ... :D )

And about the names ... well, I'll try to come up with something that better refelcts what the feat does. It was just to keep the theme.

Thanks
-Matt

Destil

Explorer
Finnese Attack is a good way to look at power attack if you want to mantain it as a way to level out damage for two-weapon fighting. And I'd have to say it's balanced (since I believe the problem with PA was never balance, it was that the feat simply didn't do what it was intended to).

Power Attack is sort of the anti expertiese... or something. I'd call it reckless attack, just to keep things clear. I'm still fuzzy on the str bonus to damage, is that added to your normal Strength Bonus? Or does it replace it? Why do I feel like point out that strength bonuses to damage don't stack? After all, only synergy bonuses, dodge bonuses, circumstance bonuses that don't arrise from the same circumstance, armor bonuses from armor and shields and lastly enhancement bonuses from projectile weapons and their ammunition stack. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads