• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Paladin Mount Dismissal

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re

Weren't paladin mounts already extraplanar creatures due to the addition of the Celestial creature template?

A vanilla 3.0 Paladin's Mount isn't Celestial. It's just a Magical Beast.

-Hyp.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The Celestial and Fiendish templates do not turn creatures into outsider; animals or beasts become magical beasts, but type is otherwise unchanged. They also do not make creatures extraplanar. (A templated creature might be more likely to grow up outside the Prime, but that's not required by the template.)

Skaros

First Post
AuraSeer said:
The Celestial and Fiendish templates do not turn creatures into outsider; animals or beasts become magical beasts, but type is otherwise unchanged. They also do not make creatures extraplanar. (A templated creature might be more likely to grow up outside the Prime, but that's not required by the template.)

That's what I (and my wife, Alyarius) are wanting to hear. Really, I like the ability to call and dismiss the mount, but would hate for every other priest she fights to wave his hand and send the critter back to the celestial homelands (or another random plane 1/5 of the time).

skaros

Artoomis

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I'm pretty sure any creature with the celestial or fiendish template becomes extraplanar.

Incorrect.

"Celestial" is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature of nonevil alignment (referred to hereafter as the "base creature"). Beasts or animals with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged.

Note that this is NOT the same as Celestials in the MM, who are, as an example, "Small Outsider (Good, Lawful)" for a Lantern Archon.

So, no, the Celestial (and Fiendish) templates do not make the creature extraplanar or an outsider.

Remove ads