• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Paladin Mount Dismissal

Alyarius

First Post
It was stated that the Paladin "dismisses" her mount. Is this like the spell "Dismissal"? If so, can others use the spell to dismiss your mount?

This could be bad when fighting higher level clerics. Also, in 3.5e does the Dismissal spell have the 1/5 chance of dismissing to a random plane?

Thanks.

rounser

First Post
It was stated that the Paladin "dismisses" her mount. Is this like the spell "Dismissal"?
Erm - the answer to me seems to be "obviously not"? Reminds me of the give-them-an-inch-and-they'll-try-and-exploit-it Quiver of Ehlonna interpretation of "producing" missiles...not that you're asking for self-serving rulesbreakery purposes here...and admittedly, there are some "magic verbs" in 3E.

To paraphrase Freud, sometimes a verb is just a verb.

Last edited:

Alyarius

First Post
For clarification...

is the mount now considered extra-planar? thus, will the spell "Dismissal" work against it..yadda yadda yadda.

rounser

First Post
is the mount now considered extra-planar? thus, will the spell "Dismissal" work against it..yadda yadda yadda.
Ha! It's not as if it's some kind of magical horse, like one that appears out of thin air whenever you summon it or anything! Begone foul troll!

:D :(

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
We just don't have enough info yet. Maybe our friendly neighborhood scoopers will fill us in further. But no, the changes don't sound that significant. If someone could 'unsummon' the Paladin's special mount that would definitely be something to houserule...

LGodamus

First Post
I think even unsummoning the paladins mount would be kinda pointless since he can just call it back ( I would imagine) if he has time remaining...probably alot more times than anyone has dismissal prepared...

Hejdun

First Post
I think even unsummoning the paladins mount would be kinda pointless since he can just call it back ( I would imagine) if he has time remaining...probably alot more times than anyone has dismissal prepared...
the new paladin warhorse (summon once per day for 2 hrs per paladin level, so no more dragging it down the stairs to the dungeon to have it when you need it)

From that description, it sounds like you'd only be able to "summon" your mount once a day, which means if it's dismissed, it's gone for the rest of the day. But I'm not sure where the text came from, so I can't say how accurate it is to the 3.5 rules.

Kai Lord

Hero
John Crichton said:
If someone could 'unsummon' the Paladin's special mount that would definitely be something to houserule...
It's still be comical if it happened while the Paladin and mount were jumping over a ravine....

Skaros

First Post
It does seem ridiculous...

However, Andy Collins indicated here on his message boards:

But if the character only needs the mount for a short period of time, or if she needs to return it to the "celestial realms in which it resides" because having a Large creature around just isn't conducive to the party's success right now, she can dismiss it.

It just seems like the paladins mount might fall under the category of extraplanar creatures...which is exactly the sort of creature Dismissal targets, sends back to its home plane....and worse, sends to the wrong plane 1/5 of the time. :)

Not that it would be hard to house rule that the mount has dual citizenship on the celestial plane and the prime, and can't be dismissed, etc...but it would be a strange situation.

Skaros

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

Skaros,

Weren't paladin mounts already extraplanar creatures due to the addition of the Celestial creature template? Celestial and fiendish creatures are supposed to be from the planes, though I can't remember if they are given the outsider label or not.

Remove ads