• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 1E Oriental Adventure with 2E Modules

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
Folks:
I have a copy of 1E Oriental Adventures (book 2018) and just picked up OA6 Adventure - Ronin Challenge (book 9257) by Curtis Smith & Rick Swan from an online auction; however, I noticed that the module is 2nd addition. What changes were done for the 1E to 2E? Will I have to modify anything? I know in 2E a whole new combat system was created for unarmed combat, which made the Monk character become a Priest Kit.
Due to the latter, do I just use the 1E rules for the 2nd Modules?
Thanks
JJ

Crothian

First Post
I'd just use 1e rules. The AC, HP, and damage of creatures stayed pretty much the same. They will have THAC0 instead of the to hit tables but that should not be a problem. I'm not familiar with that particular module so you will want to read through it just to make sure there is not anything that stands out as way different.

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
I'd just use 1e rules. The AC, HP, and damage of creatures stayed pretty much the same. They will have THAC0 instead of the to hit tables but that should not be a problem. I'm not familiar with that particular module so you will want to read through it just to make sure there is not anything that stands out as way different.

Much appreciate – I will do as you say and let you know how it works out.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
There is very little that changes from 1e to 2e that will affect that adventure. 2e considerably simplified the non-weapon proficiency system that appeared in OA. Consider using 2e-style non-weapon proficiency rules instead of OA's.

I would also consider putting the yakuza on an easier XP track. Their ki powers and gang resources don't really match up with the difficulty of their XP table.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Taking a brief glance through the adventure, it's mostly written with Oriental Adventures (1E) in mind, although a few concepts from 2E (poison type and THAC0) seem to have made their way in. Monster stats from 1E and 2E are mostly identical, with the exceptions primarily being giants and dragons, which were significantly made more difficult. This shouldn't affect the balance of this adventure though.

(Boy, the text is dense, though!)

Cheers!

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
Taking a brief glance through the adventure, it's mostly written with Oriental Adventures (1E) in mind, although a few concepts from 2E (poison type and THAC0) seem to have made their way in. Monster stats from 1E and 2E are mostly identical, with the exceptions primarily being giants and dragons, which were significantly made more difficult. This shouldn't affect the balance of this adventure though.

(Boy, the text is dense, though!)

Cheers!

Thanks for taking the time to actually look through the book. I do not have it yet, since it only shipped yesterday; however, I am super excited.

pemerton

Legend
I have it, but haven't run much of it. Watch out for the railroading.

On the issue of edition, I wouldn't worry. To the extent that 2nd ed AD&D incorporated some aspects of OA it was mostly lamer, so you'll be better off sticking to your 1st ed material!

Also, the companion piece to this module, OA7 Test of the Samurai is something that I have run (converted to Rolemaster). I recommend it. It used to be downloadable for free from the WotC site, but a quick google didn't bring it up (maybe because of their site redesign?).

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
I have it, but haven't run much of it. Watch out for the railroading.

On the issue of edition, I wouldn't worry. To the extent that 2nd ed AD&D incorporated some aspects of OA it was mostly lamer, so you'll be better off sticking to your 1st ed material!

Also, the companion piece to this module, OA7 Test of the Samurai is something that I have run (converted to Rolemaster). I recommend it. It used to be downloadable for free from the WotC site, but a quick google didn't bring it up (maybe because of their site redesign?).

Thanks for the insight - to be honest, I never played 1st edition - only started with 2nd edition in 1992 (or whenever) Ruins of Under Mountain came out. However glancing through my 1E books, which I have purchased via bulk auctions - some items of 1E look better then the 2nd. However, the massive amount of settings and modules came with 2nd edition. Yet - despite starting with 2E - I find myself liking item with 1E.

Thanks for providing feed back, and taking the time. I will try to run it with my 1E books, and weed out what I do not like.

I think the only 1E book I am missing is the Game Master's Book or whatever it was called in 1E. This is the book that has the combat tables in it right?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I think the only 1E book I am missing is the Game Master's Book or whatever it was called in 1E. This is the book that has the combat tables in it right?

Dungeon Master's Guide. And the best part of it is all of the campaign running advice.
It does have the combat tables for 1e in it, but that's one area where I think 2e was definitely superior - determining whether someone hit became a calculation rather than a table look-up. It streamlined the game a bit.

Overall, the two editions are highly compatible. 2e improves the initiative and surprise rules, refines the non-weapon proficiency rules. 1e has better rangers. An amalgam of the two editions is entirely possible and is largely seamless.

pemerton

Legend
Thanks for the insight
No worries. I'm a big fan of the original OA, so it's nice to see it getting some play time.

Adding to what others have said - you'll be fine using your 2nd ed saving throw and THACO tables.

For classes: bushi, kensai, barbarians and samurai use fighter THACO.

Shukenja, monks and sohei use cleric THACO.

Wu jen use wizard THACO.

Yakuza use thief THACO.

Remove ads