• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Ye Olde Ranger of Editions Past (1E-4E)

Just a small remark: the 3.0 Ranger did have a pet, starting at 4th level. If wasn't written then explicitly in the class progression chart, but it could be obtained by casting the Animal Friendship spell.

Just a small remark: the 3.0 Ranger did have a pet, starting at 4th level. If wasn't written then explicitly in the class progression chart, but it could be obtained by casting the Animal Friendship spell.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
The way I remember it, rangers had identity problems as far back as 2E. (Were they Drizzt emulators? If so, where's the tools to let them survive close combat?)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The way I remember it, rangers had identity problems as far back as 2E. (Were they Drizzt emulators? If so, where's the tools to let them survive close combat?)

The ranger didn't have identity problems in 2e. They were the warrior-tracker class with tracking without DM Fiat and divination magic. Same in 1e and 3e. The problem is many didn't like the identity or use these features attributed to it.

It's like using a bard but never rolling Charisma checks or upset that it doesn't know enough necromancy.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Diaglo's remembering the Illusionist from #4. Rangers are in TSR #2.

Rangers are a Fighting-Man subclass (so they roleplay the combat system). They are Lawful and lose their subclass abilities, if their alignment shifts. They learn Clerical and Magical spellcasting alternating from 8th level on. But in system that largely ends after 9th remember. 10th+ is a sort of epic, game largely completed zone. Those are the levels of Ranger-Knight and Ranger-Lord. They a narrow version of F-M and weaker as mentioned. They are limited in a few ways, but not as much as Paladins. They don't receive much for that specialization though. Tracking, which I *believe* is defined for the first time ever here. They are difficult to surprise and have combat advantages against Giant monster types. At 8th and above they get many more abilities like Followers and magic-use other than spellcasting too.

kromelizard

First Post
Dual wielding has been a feature of the ranger since 1e. If I remember correctly, hidden in the ranger's class description is a note that the ranger can wield and attack with a weapon in their main-hand and off-hand, reducing the penalty for their main hand by two and their off hand by four. Which I think is the same benefit they get in 2e.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
There is no such dual wielding benefit or class ability in 1st edition AD&D. The DMG describes using a dagger or other small weapon in the off-hand, but this is generic and applies to anyone. Rangers don't get a special benefit, not until 2nd edition.

Cheers,
Cam

Remove ads

Remove ads