• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

XPH: Schism

I've loaned out my XPH but had an idea pop into my head:

Can Schism be used to re-establish psionic focus? From what I remember, it says "allows a mental action, such as manifesting a power." If so, does the focus apply to the powers manifested by the schismed mind only? What about physical feats that require expending focus or just having focus?

Last, did the rules say if the schismed mind invoked attack of opportunities? I can't see that it would, being a mental action only, but my book is not here.

Thanks in advance.

the Jester

Legend
Initial opinion:

I'd let the schismed mind do it, and I'd let the psionic focus established work for the whole body. However, if I'm not mistaken, establishing pf provokes aoo's.

Thanee

First Post
Yes, you can do that.

Combined with Hustle you even have your full action left.

Psionic Meditation makes all this even easier.

With Schism, Hustle and Psionic Meditation you can use your focus twice per round to modify a manifested power (one at -6 ML).

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
About the AoO. Being purely mental has absolutely no influence on AoO. AoO are not really provoked actively by waving around with your arms or anything. AoO are provoked by not doing something, by letting your guard down (which is assumed you have up normally), since you must concentrate on something else.

Now it could be argued, that the Schism mind acts independantly and therefore is not subject to your own concentration. It doesn't really state that, I think. Might be reasonable to say, that the Schism mind does not provoke any AoO's, but the rules do not state this, so officially it does AFAIK.

Bye
Thanee

Yes, you can do that.
The rules definitely do not state this. I'd be disinclined to allow it as DM because it just does not seem logical-- your mind is acting as two separate entities, focusing powers etc independently of one another. Does the emotional, mental, and spiritual state (i.e. psionic focus) of one affect the other? I think not. If so, then why does Schism allow one to bypass being charmed, dominated, or even subject to a Sleep effect?

On the other hand, I'd also let them gain and retain a focus independently so that each might make use of that focus for separate purposes.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
It's still you that manifests powers and all the stuff.
You still use the same PP reserve, you don't have to split it up or something.

Why should it be any different for psionic focus?

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
After re-reading it, I think you should handle psionic focus for both minds seperately. Makes more sense that way, really.

Note, however, that the second mind cannot spend full-round actions, only standard actions. Maybe it should be allowed to use your regular move action? Dunno! :)

Just noticed, that it actually states, that the second mind doesn't make you provoke AoO when manifesting powers. I would extend this to regaining the psionic focus, really.

Oh, and about the charm question above... it's also stated what happens. :)

And yes, Schism allows you to bypass being charmed, etc.

Quite funny, that it also states, that the second mind doesn't gain any advantage for being hasted............ now what might that advantage be!? Maybe they were thinking of 3.0 haste? :p

That power deserves to be banned, anyways... :p

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads