• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WoW Newbie - How soon can group different races?

Ok, so my wife and I finally after years of putting it off, took the plunge into World of Warcraft this past weekend. Since I know these boards have a couple of WoW players on them and I'm not familiar with the best WoW online communities yet, I figured I'd ask here first.

We wanted to play different races (night elf and gnome), and realized that we'd spend part of the early game in our separate starting locations, but at what level would we feasibly be able to finally link up? (Currently we're level 7.) Or should we join a guild and rely on the kindness of someone high level to get one of us to the other's location?

Thanks for any help!

mmu1

First Post
kenmarable said:
Ok, so my wife and I finally after years of putting it off, took the plunge into World of Warcraft this past weekend. Since I know these boards have a couple of WoW players on them and I'm not familiar with the best WoW online communities yet, I figured I'd ask here first.

We wanted to play different races (night elf and gnome), and realized that we'd spend part of the early game in our separate starting locations, but at what level would we feasibly be able to finally link up? (Currently we're level 7.) Or should we join a guild and rely on the kindness of someone high level to get one of us to the other's location?

Thanks for any help!

If you wanted to be able to safely cross the areas involved, you'd have to IIRC be level 20-something.

But there really isn't any point in waiting - you can get over to the other starting areas even at level 1 - you'll just die a lot.

IIRC in order to get from the Night Elf area to the Gnome area, you have to take a ship from Auberdine in Darkshore to Menethil in the Wetlands, go across the Wetlands to Loch Modan, and then go on to Dun Morogh. The only tricky part is crossing the Wetlands - you'll definitely die a few times there, but it's just one zone. All the other ones are relatively safe.

mmu1 said:
If you wanted to be able to safely cross the areas involved, you'd have to IIRC be level 20-something.

But there really isn't any point in waiting - you can get over to the other starting areas even at level 1 - you'll just die a lot.

IIRC in order to get from the Night Elf area to the Gnome area, you have to take a ship from Auberdine in Darkshore to Menethil in the Wetlands, go across the Wetlands to Loch Modan, and then go on to Dun Morogh. The only tricky part is crossing the Wetlands - you'll definitely die a few times there, but it's just one zone. All the other ones are relatively safe.
I can live with that. It's not a matter of having to complete any quests in order to "unlock" the ship or anything then?

Thanks, this is the help I was hoping for!

(Oh, and I assume there's nothing stopping me from going the other direction since I'll probably take my gnome to her night elf.)

Rackhir

Explorer
If you're traveling to link up at lvl 1, it might not make a difference, since you won't have much of anything to be damaged. In general, if you know you are going to die a lot, it's a good idea to remove your equipment and carry it in your bags. So that you can avoid repair costs. Your equipment is damaged every time you die and eventually becomes useless until repaired.

What server are you on?

Rackhir said:
If you're traveling to link up at lvl 1, it might not make a difference, since you won't have much of anything to be damaged. In general, if you know you are going to die a lot, it's a good idea to remove your equipment and carry it in your bags. So that you can avoid repair costs. Your equipment is damaged every time you die and eventually becomes useless until repaired.

What server are you on?
I'm on Duskwood, I think.

And thanks for reminding me. All I have equipped is some sort of knife I barely ever use, and some stuff that passes as armor. (I'm a gnome warlock 7.)

I think I'll give the trek a try tonight and see how far I can get. Should be fun! :)

Thanks for the help everyone! Operation "Run Little Gnome Run!" was successful. My gnome stripped down to his skivvies and ran across the continent for about a half hour straight. I felt like Frodo with my little imp version of Sam Gamgee tagging along. I actually made it with a couple arrows in my backside, and only 2 deaths in the Wetlands (was eaten twice by some sort of rainbow crocodile, didn't last long enough to see what it was). And the upside is that now I have a couple flight paths discovered so I can hop back for training and such pretty easily.

Thanks again for the help, it was easier than I thought.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Personally, I prefer the human and dwarf/gnome areas for levelling. The NE areas are, um, kind of depressing.

OTOH, the draenei area is somewhat better, having been designed later.

Brad

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Just so you know, there aren't any warlock trainers I'm aware of in night elf lands. At the very least, you're going to want to head back to Khaz Modan or human lands at levels 10 and 20 for your next pet quests.

My recommendation, frankly, would be for each of you to make a second character. My wife and I play together, and playing as a same-race character in the same zones is a lot of fun.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
cignus_pfaccari said:
Personally, I prefer the human and dwarf/gnome areas for levelling. The NE areas are, um, kind of depressing.

OTOH, the draenei area is somewhat better, having been designed later.
Ironically, the night elf lands were the last Alliance newbie lands created for the original game. But yeah, they don't hold a candle to the draenei newbie storyline.

Remove ads