• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC might still want to stop Third Party VTTs in their new draft

Jadeite

Hero
The next OGL will contain the provisions that allow us to protect and cultivate the inclusive environment we are trying to build and specify that it covers only content for TTRPGs. That means that other expressions, such as educational and charitable campaigns, livestreams, cosplay, VTT-uses, etc., will remain unaffected by any OGL update. Content already released under 1.0a will also remain unaffected.
This had been mentioned by Youtubers in yesterday's streams (the RulesLawyer if I recall correctly) and it should be emphasized. This paragraph doesn't necessarily say that VTT would be allowed under their new OGL. It only lists using a VTT (preferably their own) as a viable fan activity unaffected by their changes, among a list of other fan activities.

This had been mentioned by Youtubers in yesterday's streams (the RulesLawyer if I recall correctly) and it should be emphasized. This paragraph doesn't necessarily say that VTT would be allowed under their new OGL. It only lists using a VTT (preferably their own) as a viable fan activity unaffected by their changes, among a list of other fan activities.
No it says VTT uses. Not using. Wait until the actual document, blog post means nothing yet.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Well they can't stop VTTs, they may be able to stop you using D&D on VTT.

They can stop 6E on everything that's not D&D beyond.
Yes.

WotC seems worried by this, but they have the power. Come 2024 Roll20 will really want the latest version of D&D, and WotC will set the terms.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes.

WotC seems worried by this, but they have the power. Come 2024 Roll20 will really want the latest version of D&D, and WotC will set the terms.

Yeah people were speculating about how the carrot will be access to D&D beyond.

Think I was the only one who thought up 6E might not be OGL.

Zardnaar

Legend
Not sure when you thought it, but Matt Coville (of MCDM fame) mentioned something like this about a year ago.

Of course who knows when we will see 6e, because 1D&D is not it! ;)

I did watch that video I think he was talking about the VTT or at least he was in that video.

And he thought of it before I did but when rumors of the new OGL started going around about royalties people were thinking where's the carot? It's all stick at the time I thought the darot was access to 6E and the VTT. Well it's worse than that.

The initial OGL going away rumor was November or October and everyone poo pooed it.

Remove ads