• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotBS WotBS & Item Creation feats

Ruavel

First Post
now I'm only part way through running the first adventure, but I've read through it all and through the second, and I'm starting to get the impression that item creation feats beyond Scribe Scroll & Brew Potion might be a bit of a waste.

the timeline of events in the Campaign Guide kinda emphasises the issue a little as well.

Any other GMs gotten this impression while running WotBS?
Any writers/designers of the campaign care to comment?

NB- this is not meant as a criticism. In fact if it was intentional, I'm really quite impressed. It's just something I've noticed, and something I feel I should be able to rasie with my players in case any of them start thinking Craft Wondrous would be a good choice at 3rd level, but it turns out they'll never have more than 4 days for crafting.

It wasn't so much intentional as an accepted side effect of the campaign's story. I knew that a war should not allow for much down time, so I made a point of stretching out the timeline in adventure 3 to give players a chance to make use of item creation feats, but there isn't much of an opportunity in the rest of the campaign.

I was also sort of self-conscious about the idea that characters would indeed be hopping from 1st to 20th level in the span of a year or so. But hey, despite what Yoda says, war can make great heroes.

Anyway, the heroes do have a home base in the form of Seaquen, which is full of mages who can easily craft items on commission while the heroes are off adventuring. PCs should still have enough time here or there to scribe scrolls, but yeah, making bigger items (at least by the official rules) isn't really an option.

Of course, you could always be a bit more lenient, and say that you don't have to spend 8 hours of work each day to make an item. Maybe you can subconsciously craft the item as you sleep, as long as you keep it near, so the same amount of time passes, but you can still craft while traveling and adventuring.

Ruavel

First Post
I absolutely love the fast paced feel of the campaign; the undeniable feeling that the characters are rushing all over the place, trying to save the world, with no time to spare. I just don't want to completely inhibit a player doing what he wants with his character.

I had discussed the Artificer class with one of the players, if for no other reason than the ability to make a Dedicated Wright homunculus crafting all your stuff for you while you fight the war. Perhaps one of these ugly little critters is the solution for a player who wants to seriously pursue item creation. Perhaps I might have someone in Seaquen who could make him one.

hhhmmmm. Food for thought, methinks. And I've got time to consider it, given the character in question only just hit 2nd level.

Rugult

On Call GM
I'm considering something similar. Either using the UA craft points, or just teaming it up with the general 8 hours. Need to read more into the 3rd Adventure & beyond before I make my final call on how to handle it.

But mark my words... my players will be making items!

Volaran

First Post
Two adventures in, and I'm more concerned about finding or purchasing some pearls in order to Identify all the stuff we've been finding, before considering creation yet. Fantastic adventures though. :)

Remove ads