• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Within the Zone-- but.. how big is the "zone"?

Minifig

First Post
Guardian Shock Wave

As you hit with a brutal attack, a wave of primal energy ripples through the ground around the target.

Encounter
bullet.gif
Primal, Weapon, Zone
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and the squares adjacent to the target become a zone of shifting ground until the end of your next turn. Any enemy marked by you that enters the zone is knocked prone.

Published in Primal Power, page(s) 95.
This power has not been Errata'd .. and it doesn't specify how big the zone is..

So.. how big is the zone? :confused:

Edit:

Is it a 1 by 1 ?

Eg:

o=marked enemy x=zone

xxx
xox
xxx

And anything that enters where the x's are .. is knocked prone.. or.. what?

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
This power has not been Errata'd .. and it doesn't specify how big the zone is..

So.. how big is the zone? :confused:

Edit:

Is it a 1 by 1 ?

Eg:

o=marked enemy x=zone

xxx
xox
xxx

And anything that enters where the x's are .. is knocked prone.. or.. what?

Nope.

o is the enemy you hit with this power, regardless of whether it is marked or not. Tho, marking the enemy you hit is a good idea, because now it cannot shift into any square adjacent to it.

As well, if the enemy is large, good news! The zone affected is larger too!

However, the square the enemy starts in is not part of the zone.

Minifig

First Post
Nope.

o is the enemy you hit with this power, regardless of whether it is marked or not. Tho, marking the enemy you hit is a good idea, because now it cannot shift into any square adjacent to it.

As well, if the enemy is large, good news! The zone affected is larger too!

However, the square the enemy starts in is not part of the zone.

So all and all, this is a pretty spectacularly weak Encounter Power.. all things said eh?

:erm: Bleh.

If your curious as to what I'm doing...I'm regoing through my Wilden Warden and improving his original powers and seeing if I can improve on them at all. My DM said I have permission to do so as I've been kinda 'iffy' on some of them.. and I just want to refine things down to get them perfect. I kinda feel lucky to have a DM that's nice enough to let me do this in my spare time.

Just.. can't find a good level three encounter power for a Wildblood Warden, I was thinking about Rough Strike. :(

Shin Okada

Explorer
Guardian Shock Wave is not a hitty power. But not necessarily a bad power at all.

You go adjacent to the target, say, an artillery or controller who shoots nasty ranged or area attacks, you hit it with Guardian Shock Wave and mark it (maybe with some others) with your class feature.

Now, all the squares adjacent to that target is the zone. And if the enemies marked by you enters that zone, they will become prone.

If the said target don't move in it's next turn, it must attack you with a melee or closed attack, or provoke an opportunity attack from you.

If the said target moves 1 square away from you, then it becomes prone. As it already spent a move action, it needs another move action to stand up, or must attack with -2 penalty from being prone. If you happen to be using a reach weapon and the target did not include you as a target of it's attack, you can use use Warden's Fury power, too.

If it moves, but not going away from you, it is your prey. Now it is being adjacent to you.

It also prevent his lackeys to enter the squares adjacent to it.

This power has it's own tactical uses.

And, if you are looking for other powers good for a wild warden, my recommendations are Pressing Attack (additional movement before the attack is good), & Thundering Strike (dazed!).

Minifig

First Post
And, if you are looking for other powers good for a wild warden, my recommendations are Pressing Attack (additional movement before the attack is good), & Thundering Strike (dazed!).

Pressing Attack looks BRILLIANT.

If I mark something before my move, then use Pressing Attack as a Wildblood, I can move nine squares away from the target I marked.. then attack something else with Pressing Attack, and mark it too.

The first thing will be forced to move it's move modifier, which more than likely might be less than nine.. and because it can't attack me.. it'll get my Wildblood punishment (my wisdom modifier) per turn until it can move up and hit me.. which will be three additional damage!

That's ridiculous!

Shin, you've earned your first little green thumb from me, my friend.

Awesome idea!

Azlith

First Post
If I mark something before my move, then use Pressing Attack as a Wildblood, I can move nine squares away from the target I marked.. then attack something else with Pressing Attack, and mark it too.

The first thing will be forced to move it's move modifier, which more than likely might be less than nine.. and because it can't attack me.. it'll get my Wildblood punishment (my wisdom modifier) per turn until it can move up and hit me.. which will be three additional damage!

First thing, how can you move nine if your wisdom bonus is only +3?
Second, the creature could always move then charge.
Third, what's "Wildblood Punishment"?
Fourth, you can only mark once per turn.

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
Yeah no.

Stop.

Your job as a defender is not trying to find hard and difficult ways of doing piddly amounts of nickel and dime damage. You can do better at the damage game by being a striker class.

Your job is to keep enemies from attacking your friends, and making it harder should they be able to do so.

Marking someone, attacking them, and then running away from them is a pretty bad way for a Warden to defend. They rely heavily on proximity, which is why they have lots of pulling powers. You have the ability to hit again, then if he leaves his square, he will be knocked prone. That is HUGE. He won't move from that spot. Want to keep your party safe? Keep the enemies away from them. So long as your wizard doesn't stand adjacent to them, that guy is hardly likely to go after the wizard.

And artillery? About the worst thing you can do to them is lock them in place with a melee guy next to them... they HATE that.

Minifig

First Post
First thing, how can you move nine if your wisdom bonus is only +3?
Second, the creature could always move then charge.
Third, what's "Wildblood Punishment"?
Fourth, you can only mark once per turn.

With pressing attack, you can move your conventional movement speed PLUS your wisdom modifier.

I move 6 already, 3+6 = 9.

9 Squares.

Wildblood Penalty is when if I mark something and it doesn't attack me, it takes my wisdom modifier damage until the end of my next turn, every turn, until it attacks me.

And no.. wardens can mark as many targets as they want with Nature's Wrath as long as they are adjacent to them as a free turn. It can be used in the middle of the turn, during the middle of a move, or at the end of a turn. The Warden's Nature's Wrath is one NASTY mark when properly used.

Last edited:

Davachido

Explorer
And no.. wardens can mark as many targets as they want with Nature's Wrath as long as they are adjacent to them as a free turn. It can be used in the middle of the turn, during the middle of a move, or at the end of a turn. The Warden's Nature's Wrath is one NASTY mark when properly used.

Rules quotation:
Once during each of your turns, you can mark each adjacent enemy as a free action. This mark lasts until the end of your next turn.

I don't know what you mean by free turn but you can still only mark enemies once per turn that are adjacent to you. You can't mark then move then mark again unless you are using an attack power that lets you do so.

Also nature's wrath is only nasty if you are next to the opponent (or within 5 squares if you want to use warden's grasp), after all if you have moved away all that avails is a -2 which most enemies can ignore if you aren't going to punish them more than that. If you have moved away 9 squares from the opponent you can't punish them, if you have moved 5 squares away all the enemy has to do is shift one square away and they can still hit your friends with only a -2. So I really don't know what you would want to do like that.

Remove ads