• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Will you buy 5.5e/6e PHB?

Will you buy 5.5e/6e PHB?

• Yes

Votes: 64 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 41.7%

dave2008

Legend
Imo they can’t get rid of short rests because of warlocks. It’s the major differentiation between them and other casters.
I agree with @UngeheuerLich that short rest mechanics days seem numbered. If that is the case, I think the warlock could be one of the biggest changes. It could be a complete revamped class, which could be good or bad.

I get the reason for eliminating short rest mechanics, but I would prefer they stay.

I agree with @UngeheuerLich that short rest mechanics days seem numbered. If that is the case, I think the warlock could be one of the biggest changes. It could be a complete revamped class, which could be good or bad.

I get the reason for eliminating short rest mechanics, but I would prefer they stay.
I was totally with you until I recognized, that prof bonus per day and then putting everyone on the same clock will allow me to pace the adventuring day a lot better.
Right now I have a very unique rest pattern that i feel is not necessary to introduce until level 5. I often thought about changin short rest abilities to 3/long rest, but felt it was too generous at level 1 (without recharging in some way) and not enough at higher levels.
Prof bonus per day probably does exactly what I want. As I said here or elsewhere. Maybe I just try it out soon.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

What he described as the potential replacement was just slightly reimagined short rests with a different name.

I don’t see how that potential change makes their days numbered?

What he described as the potential replacement was just slightly reimagined short rests with a different name.

You don't understand it right.
Short rests will stay for hd recharge anyway.
Your point was: they can't get rid of shirt rest becauss warlocks.
I said, that even if warlocks do something similar to recharge on a short rest (which is actually recharging on a long rest), recharges on a short rest can still be eliminated as a general rule.

Also, by limiting the numbers of short rest lile recharges, you will still have everyone on the same clock. If you have short rest as a good night's sleep and long rests as a week of rest, warlocks won't trump every other caster, because they can comparably go foreve without real long rests and so on.

dave2008

Legend

My apologies for the confusion, I wasn't agree with their warlock example, just the idea the class mechanics that use short rest will go away (I still think we will have them for attunement, HD healing, etc.).

I think their is a chance the warlock gets a thorough redesign. If it wasn't for all recent classes using the prof. bonus per day mechanic instead of short-rest mechanics I would have never thought this, but it seems to be they way they are going.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
My apologies for the confusion, I wasn't agree with their warlock example, just the idea the class mechanics that use short rest will go away (I still think we will have them for attunement, HD healing, etc.).
I don’t think features like the warlocks casting can get away from short rest recovery in some form.

I think their is a chance the warlock gets a thorough redesign. If it wasn't for all recent classes using the prof. bonus per day mechanic instead of short-rest mechanics I would have never thought this, but it seems to be they way they are going.
I agree going forward they are moving away from it. That doesn’t mean things already designed without that philosophy will be redesigned for it.

Single use per short rest abilities seem more likely to go that route. Multi-use per short rest abilities seem less likely in my estimation. Especially warlocks who at level 3 could have 6 level 2 slots. Far above what a wizard gets. Just as an example. Or level 11 they would get 1 6th and 12 5th level slots (going by prof times per day)

dave2008

Legend
I don’t think features like the warlocks casting can get away from short rest recovery in some form.
I'm not really a class designer, so I am not sure. But I could see it lean into class features more and less reliant on spells in general.
I agree going forward they are moving away from it. That doesn’t mean things already designed without that philosophy will be redesigned for it.
True, but that is what I expect none the less. I would be happy to be wrong.
Single use per short rest abilities seem more likely to go that route. Multi-use per short rest abilities seem less likely in my estimation. Especially warlocks who at level 3 could have 6 level 2 slots. Far above what a wizard gets. Just as an example. Or level 11 they would get 1 6th and 12 5th level slots (going by prof times per day)
That is why I think the warlock could be a complete redesign.

Then probably recharge prof bonus/2 rounded up per day.

That will be 1 to 3 recharges (2 to 4 times 2 to 4 spells of level 1 to 5) It is easy to dial it up or down a bit. But it is no dealbreaker.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads