• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 will they nerf the *T* spell for 3.5?

JChung2003

First Post
FireLance said:
One way to reduce the effectiveness of Time Stop while allowing it to retain its effectiveness as a 9th-level spell is to rule that direct attack spells (spells with an instantaneous or permanent duration, or which allow targets a single saving throw to avoid or reduce the effect) take effect during the Time Stop. As such, the caster can only affect himself with these spells.

Time Stop is thus useful as a buffing spell, or to give the caster time to heal, or to set up nasty environmental conditions such as Acid Cloud, Bigby's Crushing Hand and Cloudkill.

You could infer that from the spell's description: "While the time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells; however, you can create spell effects and leave them to take effect when the time stop spell ends."
They could be more explicit (like you were) with their description.

{rant}
The problem I have with high level spells is that I don't have enough experience using them to either use them effectively as a high-level player or defend against them effectively as a DM in a high-level campaign. There really aren't any available references on how to play high-level spellcasters. I was hoping the Epic-level handbook might cover this, but really that's just a hodgepodge of rules for playing games at an absurdly (my opinion) high level.

This is akin to a problem with roleplaying games in general: it is tough for a person of average intelligence or someone with above average intelligence to roleplay an ultra-intelligent high-level monster, especially ones like those millenia-old dragons or liches who have spent most if not all of their entire existence learning how to continue to exist against the most formidable of opponents.

For instance, I can't roleplay someone capable of playing grandmaster-level chess except to abstract that by saying "the DC to beat me in a game of chess is DC 40." You don't want to abstract the strategic or tactical advantages of knowing how to use high-level spells in D&D campaigns. Part of the fun of playing high-level campaigns is using those high-level abilities.
{/rant}

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
In case anyone's curious, I just looked at the 3.5 version of time stop. It is much, much clearer about what can and can't be done.

Destil

Explorer
FireLance said:
One way to reduce the effectiveness of Time Stop while allowing it to retain its effectiveness as a 9th-level spell is to rule that direct attack spells (spells with an instantaneous or permanent duration, or which allow targets a single saving throw to avoid or reduce the effect) take effect during the Time Stop. As such, the caster can only affect himself with these spells.

Time Stop is thus useful as a buffing spell, or to give the caster time to heal, or to set up nasty environmental conditions such as Acid Cloud, Bigby's Crushing Hand and Cloudkill.
Uhm, I thought it already disallowed anything instantinous that dirrectly affected someone else... 'course I think that may be the intention as mentioned by a designer or two, and the wording is the problem...

fba827

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
In case anyone's curious, I just looked at the 3.5 version of time stop. It is much, much clearer about what can and can't be done.

DARN IT! If we wanted actual facts, we would have asked for it! We really would rather prefer debating on our own guesses and opinions.

Please, PC, in the future, keep your facts to yourself.

Thank you.

;)

hong

WotC's bitch
Fenes 2 said:

hong said:
Yeah, but I'm a lazy and stupid DM.

I would rephrase it as "I prefer to spend my preparation time on other things than wracking my brain over how to deal with a host of high-level spells in the next adventure."

Geez d00d, you talk like there's something wrong with being lazy and stupid.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
There was a lot of other spells without SR the Chosen were immune to. Either change them to something more appropriate, or ignore totally, considering they just wasted their slot (You want to have an unbeatable SR against Evard's Black Tentacles ? Yes, milady Mystra. You're aware that this spell don't allow SR ? Yes, of course, I'm a powerful wizard. So you're aware it's a totally stupid choice ? Nah, just look at my Int score, I can't be stupid, right ? So, it's my choice. Sigh. Well, if that's you last word...)

I prefered the solution I saw somewhere else, don't remember where. Someone was warded against time stop, but rather than a pseudo-immunity that would be more like a vampiric share spell than something else, it just prevented the spell to be cast in a certain distance of that person.

On the other hand, I killed Elminster by having him met someone who had a similar "immunity to spell that don't affect myself, but someone else". It was an immunity to cure spells. All magical healing El received over his centuries of existence has been suddenly undone, and he was straight at -14572140 hit points immediately.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Gez said:
On the other hand, I killed Elminster by having him met someone who had a similar "immunity to spell that don't affect myself, but someone else". It was an immunity to cure spells. All magical healing El received over his centuries of existence has been suddenly undone[...]
Such an effect could not undo previous healings. All the cure spells are of instantaneous duration, so once the healing happens, there remains no magic to be dispelled or suppressed. The ability would only prevent magical healing from being cast within its radius.

Gez

First Post
AuraSeer said:

Such an effect could not undo previous healings. All the cure spells are of instantaneous duration, so once the healing happens, there remains no magic to be dispelled or suppressed. The ability would only prevent magical healing from being cast within its radius.

Just like immunity to a spell that don't affect you and allow neither save nor resistance could not work. If Elminster is allowed to break the rule, this should go both ways! Let all NPCs break the rules! Let the munchkinism begin!

By the way, I was being sarcastic.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
FireLance said:
to rule that direct attack spells (spells with an instantaneous or permanent duration, or which allow targets a single saving throw to avoid or reduce the effect) take effect during the Time Stop. As such, the caster can only affect himself with these spells.

This was pretty much exactly the way that I understood the Time Stop rules when I read them, and it is the way that I would have run them if any time stops had occurred in the campaign by now (they haven't, by a long chalk).

It will be interesting to see exactly how 3.5e has clarified things.

Cheers

KnowTheToe

First Post
Piratecat said:

you know PC, this type teaser information may lead me to create a voodoo doll and exact revenge.

Remove ads