• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who's using maps in your game?

DM_Matt

First Post
Well, I've recently started using maps in mine (at Reaper's request, altohugh I've found it a big help).

I use Photoshop because I am familiar with it, altohugh I am sure that there are better programs for the job.

I use the grid, and often snap to grid. I label each space just off the map to create an XY coordinate system. It is very, very, useful to be able to put in parentheses in my descriptions the grid locations of things.

I take advantage of the layers system to have every N/PC on its own draggable layer (the autoselect layer option on the move tool in later versions of PShop is very useful here). I also use it overlay the unseen areas of the map, preferably with something that might look like roof or the like if appropriate, or just plain black. I then simply erase parts of it to show what the players can see.

In order that the grid system actually shows up (beucase it is not in the file), I use a screen capture app to create the final file (I personally use Grab, the utility that comes with MacOS X and allows capturing of selections. The downside is that it only saves to .tiff, so I use Photoshop to create a drag-and-drop tiff to jpeg converter).

The map has been immensely useful in keeping descriptions clear, but it haas been amaxing in combat, greatly recucing miscommunications and allowing the 3e system to be used to its full potential (AoOs, reach, move rates, and other tactical stuff work far better now).

This is my regular game thread with maps.

This was my first try at mapping (NOTE, PLAYERS IN MY REUGLAR GAME SHOULD NOT SEE THIS THREAD)

Creamsteak

Explorer
Those are some excellent maps. The graphics use is commendable. The one problem I have is that I have trouble making out the scene, but I assume that's because I know very little about the game in particular.

DM_Matt

First Post
creamsteak said:
Those are some excellent maps. The graphics use is commendable. The one problem I have is that I have trouble making out the scene, but I assume that's because I know very little about the game in particular.

Thanks. The problem was that I think I tried to pack too much stuff into too small an area, and then the jpeg compression made the detail less clear. I cleared up the text on the later ones, tohugh.

Remove ads