• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Who's going to dump WoW for 4E?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Dice4Hire said:
I have just played Diablo II online, and considering how boring it becomes, I have no desire to play WOW, especially if I have to pay for it.
Which is like not wanting to play Monopoly because you got tired of Chutes & Ladders. They're pretty different sorts of games, despite some surface similarities.

In any case, without much trouble, you can get a free trial account for 30 days to check it out. If you're right, you'll be bored before the first 30 days are up. If the 9.5 million people currently playing it (not playing it ever, just with current accounts), you'll see the difference between it and D2.

(Note: You need to know one of those 9.5 million so you can borrow their install discs before getting a trial run.)

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I have already dumped WoW for 4E. I spend what used to be my gaming time combing through these forums and gleemax. I had lost most of my connections to WoW through burnout and attrition so I just let my sub lapse.
And count me in on the level grind as being the meat of the game. I have 18 toons on 3 different servers, only 3 have made it to the Outlands.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Next patch, they speed up leveling in WoW from 1-60. I'm just saying. :p

But seriously, if the quests don't hook you in, and obviously they don't do it for everyone, it certainly would be a level grind. Me, I LOVE quests, and come alive whenever I get new ones. I'm currently a Terrok fight and a few more days of Netherwing runs from being 100 percent out of Alliance-available quests (I've been playing since launch), so I will go into a mellow mode or a PvP mode until 2.3 hits with new content for me.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
I don't think that there are many people who play WoW just because they can't find D&D players, and the online table will be the end of Blizzard or something. It's two different kinds of games.

I think all but one member of our D&D group play WoW, and I'm the root cause of the WoW infestation...I started playing after seeing a friend play, then showed it to one of the DMs, who showed it to one of his friends, and then the other DM heard us talking about it...yeah, great fun.

Brad

nimisgod

LEW Judge
If I had to choose between the two with my money, I'd pick D&D. But right now, I'm off the GM chair and PvPing like a maniac with my [Merciless Gladiator's Greatsword]. I hate being Horde (though I do like the Forsaken and BEs) but I love having no queue-time for BGs.

Most of the players at my table play WoW or are familiar with it, so WoW is just another way for us to hang out and kill Alliance together.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Nyaricus said:
I really wish the WoW and 4e crapfest would stop. No that the OPs post was that bad, but really, it's like deciding to play tennis over equestrian - sure they're both sports, but nothing alike at all.
Isn't life about making choices between completely different activites?

To the OP: The guys in my group who play WoW manage to play in our D&D game also, so I don't expect anything to change because 4e comes out.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Aust Diamondew said:
Isn't life about making choices between completely different activites?
Not my life. I do a myriad of different things, but the decisions are between similar choices. It's not "will I take a bath or attend a funeral," but rather "will I take a bath or a shower?"

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
To the OP: The guys in my group who play WoW manage to play in our D&D game also

Those in my old group didn't. Not what I call proper playing/attendance. So I left the group. The current group has no WoW players.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
(Note: You need to know one of those 9.5 million so you can borrow their install discs before getting a trial run.)
Or buy a $2 trial disc at a game store. They're usually sitting on the counter.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Not my life. I do a myriad of different things, but the decisions are between similar choices. It's not "will I take a bath or attend a funeral," but rather "will I take a bath or a shower?"

I guess completely different is too strong a term.
I meant more like: "how will I spend fight night, study for class, play video games, go to the movies, work out at the gym or clean up around the house?"
Usually a person will be able to pick as many as 2 or 3 of those acitivities for Friday night and can proably do the rest of them later in the week.

WOW versus D&D, both being leisure activities, can be and either/or choice, even if it usually won't be.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads