• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who Will be The Next Monte...

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Moridin said:
Man, Mearls is never going to live this thread down. (I'll make sure of it).
Post pictures, please! :D
Moridin said:
So everyone already knows Mearls because he was pretty active on the interwebs before 4E was announced. I wonder how having large number of R&D blogging and cruising the forums more and such will affect everyone's perception.
The blogging and cruising thing will definitely change stuff a lot, because we can put a "face" to the stuff we're seeing. It makes the game design more human, and more graspable.

I think it also decreases flames - because it's a wee bit harder to see WotC as "evil coopoeration overlords" - because you've talked to them and seen some as pretty fun guys.

Finally, it makes people more of a community. You don't think yourself as a pure consumer, you feel more as a part of the "D&D Family", because it's a bit like the thing you're friend designed (not exactly, but you get my gist). And I think that's the huge part about it (and the Monte-hype):
You feel as if you were part of the whole thing, not as a pure customer.
Moridin said:
There are certainly people who are designing/developing more than others, but a lot of people contribute a significant chunk of work on a daily basis.
I don't think anybody here really thinks that only Mearls (or only Monte for what it's worth) designs 4E. I guess we're all aware that there is a huge team - but one naturally tends to associate stuff with known people. Additionally, Mearls previous stuff shows a 4E-ish direction, and even if this isn't a direct influence by Mearls, it means that he was either psychic or has a good feeling for RPG developments. And either way, you recognize and remember that. And that Iron Heroes has hit the much-maligned item tree, doesn't help in reducing his popularity, as well as his controversial monster makeovers (too bad 4E puts a stop on that... but then, 4E monsters don't need a makeover)

Cheers, Monte LT.

Henry said:
  • Monte Cook designs games in his sleep instead of awake, because he doesn't want to put other game designers at an unfair disadvantage.
  • Monte Cook doesn't do any alternate history work, because he doesn't want to alter the space-time continuum with his words.
  • Monte Cook creates singularities in his day job just by writing about his campaign.
  • Monte Cook can beat up not just 5th graders, but all the grade schools put together, attacking at one time.
  • Why does Ry'lyeh stay hidden? Monte Cook.

[*] Monte Cook designed the games Chuck Norris plays

Tharkun

First Post
I first heard of Mike Mearls (IIRC) when I bought Iron Heroes after reading the back cover of that book, I took a chance and I was not disappointed. I am happy I did too!

I'd say Mearls.

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
I haven't kept an eye on Mike Mearl's career, as that would be ridiculous, but I do remember being in discussions with him about gaming stuff when he was just another voice on Gaming Outpost or The Forge - I forget which. Pretty sure it was one of those, but I may be wrong. Memory fades.

So it's always slightly interesting to see someone rise up the ladder so to speak - as such as there is one in role-playing games. Good for him I say. The only worry I have is I did read Iron Heroes (I believe the PDF was free on rpgnow or something for a period) and my concern was it seemed to involve a lot of 'keeping track of things'.

We shall see though. Tend to like his philosophy on things, yet to really see if applications results in same.

cougent

First Post
I think the next Monte will be... Monte Cook, just as soon as he decides to tackle 4E.

Arcana can always Evolve to the next edition.

Aristotle

First Post
I'm already a Mearls fan so I don't see him as the next anybody else, and I don't generally follow things closely enough to know exactly who designed what. while I'm sure he has tons of credits, I don't really know Noonan that well but his design methods in the articles I've read thus far really make me feel he is looking for a new perspective on old concepts, rather than just a replacement of them.

ashockney

First Post
Varianor Abroad said:
Will there be one? I don't know if there's a single name associated with Second Edition that carries equivalency to "Monte Cook" or "Gary Gygax". I could be wrong.

Ed Greeenwood

(officially started at the end of 1st Ed, but I'd still say he had biggest individual impact on the TRPG landscape from 1988 - 1994)

Last edited:

ashockney

First Post
Mearls would be the "favorite" money based on the resume.

I wouldn't rule out Noonan or Baker, though.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see someone come out of the woodwork on this.

(contact)

Explorer
Piratecat said:
I find it utterly surreal that I first met Mearls over ten years ago when he helped me run a Call of Cthulhu adventure at a local con. It was the first time I've ever run a game using a second GM. Mike did a great job, but I kind of feel like I did him a disservice by not turning to him and presciently saying "Some day you'll be lead developer for a new edition of D&D!"

Do you remember the first time we gamed together and you looked up at me and said, "Some day you'll buy a new edition of D&D?"

I still get shivers.

ashockney

First Post
Weis and Hickman deserve to be on the pre-Monte list. They were able to come up with a big idea that changed the landscape of gaming and translate it to a long-term solo career.

I'm also tempted to say Peter Adkinson evan though all his influence was indirect to the game.

So, I'd say:
Gary Gygax
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
Ed Greenwood
Peter Adkinson
Monte Cook
?????

Remove ads