• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who tried to end the OGL?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
giphy.gif

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Am I missing something? Why are we shocked that the CEO was involved in a major decision?
I think the charitable read had been that it was someone at Hasbro outside of WotC that had pushed it on the folks at WotC, not understanding gaming.

Cocks has worked hard to brand himself the "cool gamer" CEO and him being behind the OGL fiasco, if true, suggests that either he doesn't really understand the gaming space or his gaming cred doesn't really make a meaningful difference.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
I think the charitable read had been that it was someone at Hasbro outside of WotC that had pushed it on the folks at WotC, not understanding gaming.

Cocks has worked hard to brand himself the "cool gamer" CEO and him being behind the OGL fiasco, if true, suggests that either he doesn't really understand the gaming space or his gaming cred doesn't really make a meaningful difference.
Yeah, OK, I suppose that makes some sense.

From where I sit, it had to be someone with enough understanding of the OGL to have a problem with it. Even if it did come from Hasbro, there is still the fact Cocks "doesn't really understand the gaming space" enough to explain why it's a dumb idea. Unless he's just a pure figurehead, I don't see how he escapes responsibility, wherever the original push comes from.

Remove ads