• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whistle blower says non-human bodies recovered from crash

Is it?

Such as? What does 'life' have that the aliens need?
Life Cereal: (Whole Grain Oat Flour, Corn Flour, Sugar, Whole Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Baking Soda, Tocopherols (To Preserve Freshness), Reduced Iron, Niacinamide, Annatto (Color), Thiamin Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid. )

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Here's another brain-twister, from one of my physics professors.

Even with all of our most powerful telescopes, we haven't seen more than the tiniest, most infinitesimally smallest fraction of the universe. We assume the whole universe is full of stars and planets and galaxies, because that's all we've been able to see...but that is just an assumption. It hasn't been proven. It's possible that the whole entire universe isn't a homogenous mixture of galaxies. What if we just happen to be in the only tiny portion of the universe that has them, and the rest is just a vast, empty expanse stretching out to infinity?

It's possible that we aren't alone in the universe. It's also possible that we are.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I do not believe it for reasons many here cite. But I don’t know.

About 20 years ago my parents called me in a semi panic. They were driving down their country road and saw a large bank of lights in the sky. Huge. Dozens of lights: they heard nothing. It stopped then slowly departed.

In newspaper articles from surrounding towns there were dozens of sightings. I heard what my parents said and then when the articles came out I saw them myself.

Law enforcement reported and verified the event. A local military base denied knowing anything about it.

There are some big helicopters and big planes but I this seemed to be neither.

These are my nonsubstnace using skeptical parents. They are educated and have never done anything weird or eccentric.

I still don’t believe that this was an alien craft. Maybe? But that is not proof. It’s a fun story in our family.

And frankly I don’t want us to meet aliens. They might be more Independence Day and less planet Vulcan. Or worse.

How is our immune system going to do against their germs?!

Let’s just be pen pals.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Here's another brain-twister, from one of my physics professors.

Even with all of our most powerful telescopes, we haven't seen more than the tiniest, most infinitesimally smallest fraction of the universe. We assume the whole universe is full of stars and planets and galaxies, because that's all we've been able to see...but that is just an assumption. It hasn't been proven. It's possible that the whole entire universe isn't a homogenous mixture of galaxies. What if we just happen to be in the only tiny portion of the universe that has them, and the rest is just a vast, empty expanse stretching out to infinity?

It's possible that we aren't alone in the universe. It's also possible that we are.
I have it on good authority that the rest of the universe is lime Jell-O.

MGibster

Legend
If Star Trek ever happens, I'm pretty sure the Vulcans would skim our Internet for ten minutes and give the whole planet a miss.
Are you kidding? I imagine their holodeck is full of step-mother Pon Farr scenarios with titles like "My Hot Gorn Step-Mother Seduced Me." Vulcans are freaks, yo! They're not emotionless they're just utterly repressed.

Yeah, that was a jerk move. It made me sick, I really couldn't stomach it.
Somebody get this man some Pepto-Bismol!

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
If the US has a crashed vessel or a dead "alien", it is pretty much immaterial unless they release the evidence. Otherwise, the knowledge is only of use within the black program that has the samples.
I think that if they had, you would have had some materials or other technological breakthrough out of left field with little or no precursor tech. It is possible that there could be something that we do not have the science or instrumentation to understand but then the best bet would be to release the evidence to the general science community and see if anyone comes up with something.
Otherwise, I am going to go with the "there is nothing there unless I see some evidence" side.

My gut feeling, is the US Airforce and the Navy are concerned that their instrumentation is producing false data, that the crews are viewing as UFOs and talking to themselves about it but not formally reporting it up the chain of command and they want to make the topic more respectable to get crews to formally report all weirdness. Some of may be actual experimental enemy aircraft, some of it may actual sensor artifacts and you might never know, there could be real aliens.

MGibster

Legend
Such as? What does 'life' have that the aliens need?
In John Scalzi's Old Man's War series, the most advanced race, the crab-like Consu, are a bunch of religious fantatics. For the most part they are isolationist, which is good news for the rest of the galaxy as a single one of their ships can decimate most fleets, but on occasion they like to engage in ritualistic combat with the lesser species in order to help them in their ascension (whatever that is). When facing another species in this manner, they'll throw out their own technology and use something roughtly equal to that of the inferior species.

I'm bringing this up for two reasons. First, the Consu would be a pretty cool species to introduce in a Traveller campaign. And second, you never know, an alien species might be religious and show up to Earth to proselytize. Maybe violently replacing our belief systems with theirs, or perhaps they're a bit more benign and want to give us some technology.

Why is it nonsensical? I mean, it's the #1 reason humans use.
I mean, it's not if they have some sort of sci-fi solution to trivialize the vastness of space. But it's a schelp beyond most people's comprehension to haul a meaningful amount of anything even to the next star system over, much less to a distant one, under any propulsion method conforming to the known laws of physics. Alpha Centauri is 25 trillion miles away. And that's nextdoor on the galactic scale. We might be able to turn that into a journey of mere decades someday, and might even take that journey, but the hop around the galaxy sort of travel of so much sci-fi media is just orders of magnitude beyond what could probably ever be possible. Trivializing the vast energy requirements also requires tech well beyond ours, but within the realm of the plausible under how we believe the universe to work. But having intersteller travel take place on a time-scale where "exploitation" is reasonable as a principal goal, is probably always going to remain science fiction. It requires different rules of physics from those which to the best of our knowledge exist, which is rather different than just requiring more advanced tech.

I suppose if they were a species that regularly went into hundred year hibernations during which they consumed little or no resources then some of them might be itinerant between the stars for reasons of material exploitation. A generational colony ship situation seems plausible enough as well and would also qualify as a form of exploitation. Really there are a variety of ways in which another species might have a different relationship with time, which could change the calculus. But generally exploitation of the type for which humans have historically sought out distant lands is not practicable in the absence of some sort of (preferably much) faster than light travel.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I mean, it's not if they have some sort of sci-fi solution to trivialize the vastness of space. But it's a schelp beyond most people's comprehension to haul a meaningful amount of anything even to the next star system over, much less to a distant one, under any propulsion method conforming to the known laws of physics. Alpha Centauri is 25 trillion miles away. And that's nextdoor on the galactic scale. We might be able to turn that into a journey of mere decades someday, and might even take that journey, but the hop around the galaxy sort of travel of so much sci-fi media is just orders of magnitude beyond what could probably ever be possible. Trivializing the vast energy requirements also requires tech well beyond ours, but within the realm of the plausible under how we believe the universe to work. But having intersteller travel take place on a time-scale where "exploitation" is reasonable as a principal goal, is probably always going to remain science fiction. It requires different rules of physics from those which to the best of our knowledge exist, which is rather different than just requiring more advanced tech.

I suppose if they were a species that regularly went into hundred year hibernations during which they consumed little or no resources then some of them might be itinerant between the stars for reasons of material exploitation. A generational colony ship situation seems plausible enough as well and would also qualify as a form of exploitation. Really there are a variety of ways in which another species might have a different relationship with time, which could change the calculus. But generally exploitation of the type for which humans have historically sought out distant lands is not practicable in the absence of some sort of (preferably much) faster than light travel.
I would say that if one has the tech to live in space there is a sufficiency of material in the Oort clouds of solar systems to meet one material need without bothering with the bottoms of gravity wells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads