• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

which planar book should I buy: Manual, Below, or Above?

I've got a gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so which of the 4e planar books should I buy? And why?

Manual of the Planes
The Plane Below
The Plane Above

I almost exclusively play Living Forgotten Realms (LFR) these days, so none of the books will have any direct use to me. But I do like reading well written D&D books for inspiration.

3e's Manual of the Planes was absolutely fantastic in that regard, but I have read mixed reviews on the 4e version. Plus, I kind of get the sense that Plane Below and Plane Above are better versions of what 4e Manual of the Planes was trying to be.

What would you recommend?

Mummolus

First Post
Manual of the Planes is a bit meh. Plane Above and Plane Below complement one another very well. I think I preferred Plane Above, myself, but you can't really go wrong with either of them.

Harlekin

First Post
I've got a gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so which of the 4e planar books should I buy? And why?

Manual of the Planes
The Plane Below
The Plane Above

I almost exclusively play Living Forgotten Realms (LFR) these days, so none of the books will have any direct use to me. But I do like reading well written D&D books for inspiration.

3e's Manual of the Planes was absolutely fantastic in that regard, but I have read mixed reviews on the 4e version. Plus, I kind of get the sense that Plane Below and Plane Above are better versions of what 4e Manual of the Planes was trying to be.

What would you recommend?

The Plane Above is one of the best book on planes in any edition of D&D.

The Manual of the Planes is very strong, but a little to brief.

The Plane Below is a little meh, especially when compared to the other two.

Neverfate

First Post
Can you tell me at which party level it will be most useful?

Plane Above (I don't have the others) is suited for Paragon - Epic. Most of the creatures are at least paragon level if I recall correctly.

As someone who mostly runs HEROIC level games and encounters. I really bought the book because it's really well written and full of cool places and ideas. It's one of the few 4th edition books I read just to read it.

Remove ads