• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's Your (Favourite) Role?

Your Favourite Role

Herschel

Adventurer
1. Defender (Hello Swordmage!)
I love the mix of control, durability, versatility and outright coolness.
Defenders take some of the niftiness from all the other roles.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Minor quibble: I understand the importance of roles, but to me it's all about the specific class.

I voted for striker, but that's because I absolutely adore my Half-Orc Rageblood Barbarian + Bear Warrior. I have something interesting to do every single round: slow and daze are barely obstacles due to charging with Howling Strike, and bonus attacks flow like water from Rampage and Swift Charge. And look, I got some THP. Plus, I get to growl "ROAR", at least until my fellow players get tired of it and put a bag over my head.

By contrast, although I enjoyed a damage-oriented Fighter that I briefly played, my Swordmage is much more fun in theory than in practice. Her Aegis of Shielding is hard to place (2 square range) and doesn't get triggered very often -- typically only once or twice per combat. In the last big encounter we had, she was almost useless because she had no ranged powers.

I think I would enjoy playing a Wizard, but only if I get a chance to play it my way. I want cool opportunities to use cantrips and rituals, and enough time and gold to play "party armorer" -- to craft magic items to turbo charge the entire party.

Thatwackyned

First Post
Natural 20. Boo Yah.

Anyhoo.

Defender, as I like to be in the front taking the hits so the others don't have too. I see the Sorc doing 20+ damage per hit, compared to my 10+, but I'm ok with that.

lukelightning

First Post
Leaders, then strikers.

I play mostly in LFR, so it's always a grab-bag assortment of characters; there seem to be a lot of strikers so defenders and leaders are always in demand. I just started playing a defender — it's ok but I guess I like the "back of the party" position better.

I've found controllers to be a bit too situational; sometimes they are uber useful, other times they are just like a weak striker.

keterys

First Post
Leaders and Defenders most, followed a bit later by Strikers and Controllers.

I've got 3 Leaders, 2.5 Defenders, 1.5 Strikers, 1 Controller. Some of it is class-based at this point, though. Like I need to like more classes of most types before I play them.

Remove ads