• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana What's in YOUR Unearthed Arcana?

How satisfied are you (scale of 1-5) with the Unearthed Arcana class options?

• 1- I drink the Haterade.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 2- Dissatisfied.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • 3- They're fine.

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • 4- Reasonably happy!

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • 5- Kool Aid Man; OH YEAH!

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Poll closed .

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm kind of 'meh' on them. Not really with any specific content, but because I'm not a huge fan on class bloat. There are very few archetypes that the core rules can't cover, between classes, subclasses, feats, and backgrounds. The problem as I see it, is that with the more subclasses you have, the more overlap you have between core classes, and that just doesn't sit too well with me. I would rather see more backgrounds and feats (and even more BM maneuvers), than subclasses.

YMMV and all that.

kbrakke

First Post
I am reasonably happy with the UA for what it is, a first draft of future ideals. The biggest draw for me is just seeing what ideas the current designers are messing around with. Often I'll gain inspiration from some singular ability and expand on that further for a homebrew thing. I do allow my players to try any UA material, though with my main games being level 10 and 27 people aren't heavily incentivized to switch, I might get to see some of the material in action with a few one shots.

I agree that many of these options have not screamed "play me" but many of the ideas present have piqued my interest. (Specifically the Knight Defender ability [Something I literally always want as a High AC character {What good is my high ac when people walk around me?}], the idea of the arcane shots [though I have strong problems with the implementation as a resource] both bard concepts [A beguiler and fear-er]).

Inspired by another use (Zardnaar) I'm going to be putting together a PHB II once this series is done, bringing everything up to 6 sub classes, I suspect a lot of it will be tweaked UA material. Both the draft itself and the discussion here on EN world is great for getting the creative juices flowing.

TL;DR: I am happy with it as a resource. I will let my players use it with the knowledge that I will be actively tweaking it to make it in line with the other classes/clarify any rules interactions. Though personally right now I am not interested in any of these archetypes as my next character (Whenever that gets to be)

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
I've been happy with UA so far. I like more material. I do far more reading the books and thinking about it than I do playing it. With one game a week vs constant day dreaming, more material is better for me. I'd like to see some broader UAs, dials that can change the game beyond he core, but I'm a fan of house rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Love it. Lots of good stuff to work with. As long as you are confident enough to make a few rulings, and give things the space they need to develop before knee-jerk reacting, then all is well!

Dualazi

First Post
Pretty hit and miss so far. As you joked about in the opening post, it's weird that so many of their proposed options have fallen into the same niche themes over and over. That said, the ranger and fighter revamps have been great, and that's a big plus for me. The monk UA was pretty bland though, so I'm hoping that paladin, rogue, and later warlock knock it out of the park.

Here's hoping for new full classes as well, which (in the somewhat unlikely event they are included) will probably happen once all the existing classes get a pass.

Alternatively, we could see them return to prestige classes again, since it sort of keeps class bloat down.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm fine with them. But then again, I've also been fine with the myriad of subclasses that have been released on DMs Guild and the UnearthedArcana subreddit, so these ones by WotC have not been of any appreciable difference.

Quite frankly, I'm just hoping WotC 'Big Book o' Crunch' has all the info and mechanics for the stuff for all the other campaign settings than I am just regular subclasses and such. I'd trade all these subclasses for completed rules on Artificers, Dragonmarks, Defiling, the three Dragonlance Orders of the Robes, etc. etc.

It's a playtest / focus test. You don't need to get feedback on the easy stuff; you need feedback on the ideas you're unsure of. See what people like most.
Do people like undead hunting more as a cleric or druid thing? How do people feel about magical barbarians? Can fighter builds replace/ overlap feats? Etc.

It was never going to be the best, must-have options. It's a playtest, not a preview!

Skyscraper

Explorer
Nothing in there really appealed to me. I'm kind of expecting to be excited like I was when the AD&D Unearthed Arcana hit the shelves in the '80s, but we're not there yet IMO. Lack of creativity? Lack of some story to enhance the crunch? Volo's Guide to Monsters is great in content, but the UA falls short for me.

Plus, they tried the ranger twice, and still didn't get anything that jived with me.

I can only remain dissatisfied.

Zardnaar

Legend
I am reasonably happy with the UA for what it is, a first draft of future ideals. The biggest draw for me is just seeing what ideas the current designers are messing around with. Often I'll gain inspiration from some singular ability and expand on that further for a homebrew thing. I do allow my players to try any UA material, though with my main games being level 10 and 27 people aren't heavily incentivized to switch, I might get to see some of the material in action with a few one shots.

I agree that many of these options have not screamed "play me" but many of the ideas present have piqued my interest. (Specifically the Knight Defender ability [Something I literally always want as a High AC character {What good is my high ac when people walk around me?}], the idea of the arcane shots [though I have strong problems with the implementation as a resource] both bard concepts [A beguiler and fear-er]).

Inspired by another use (Zardanarr? I think) I'm going to be putting together a PHB II once this series is done, bringing everything up to 6 sub classes, I suspect a lot of it will be tweaked UA material. Both the draft itself and the discussion here on EN world is great for getting the creative juices flowing.

TL;DR: I am happy with it as a resource. I will let my players use it with the knowledge that I will be actively tweaking it to make it in line with the other classes/clarify any rules interactions. Though personally right now I am not interested in any of these archetypes as my next character (Whenever that gets to be)

Made my own phb 3.

Remove ads